PARALLELS STOPPED WORKING AFTER ROUTINE UPGRADE Please Help!

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Alex77777777777, May 19, 2009.

1. Alex77777777777

Alex77777777777 Bit poster

Parallels was running fine and then after a scheduled upgrade i receive the error -

"Unable to load Parallels driver. Restart your Mac and try again" and After you click OK you get another message: "Unable to start the virtual machine. An unexpected error occurred while starting the virtual machine. Contact the Parallels support team for assistance." And VM does not start.

I googled this problem and found this info -

Check if prl_hypervisor.kext is loaded.

sudo kextstat |grep prl

You can either load it or restart your Mac:

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/prl_hypervisor.kext/

I am no computer expert but i have typed these into terminal and receive the following info -

Macintosh:~ Alex$ sudo kextstat |grep prl
    Password:
    Sorry, try again.
    Password:
    94 0 0x7a5000 0x7000 0x6000 com.parallels.kext.prl_netbridge (4.0 3810.351321) <6 5 4 2>
    Macintosh:~ Alex$ sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/prl_hypervisor.kext/
    kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/prl_hypervisor.kext: no such bundle file exists
    can`t add kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/prl_hypervisor.kext/ (file access/permissions) (run kextload on this kext with -t for diagnostic output)
    Macintosh:~ Alex$

When i restart the computer i just get the same problem.

Please assist ASAP as I need to use Parallels for my work.

I dont know if this is relevant but I run Parallels through boot camp.

Many thanks

2. YannG

YannG Bit poster

same problem...

I do not have prl_hypervisor.kext in my extensions folder..

Running parallels 4 on snow leopard today..

This is a serious problem..
    Anybody can help me?

thanks

3. PeteT

PeteT Bit poster

Same problem here

Is there anyone from Parallels monitoring this thread? We need a solution ASAP please.

4. Aniesh Kumar

Aniesh Kumar Bit poster

Fix for Unable to connect to Parallels drivers.

Hello Everybody,

Here is the fix for your trouble:

As I understand you are experiencing problems when you start the virtual machine you get the message 'Unable to load parallels drivers' I suggest that you follow the steps mentioned below to troubleshoot the issue.

1) Please download the .dmg file of the latest build of Parallels Desktop 4.0.3846 onto your Mac Desktop from the given link below.

http://download.parallels.com/deskt...lsDesktop-parallels-en_US-4.0.3846.436204.dmg

Once the .dmg file is downloaded please double click on it and choose option 'Uninstall Parallels Desktop' and proceed with the steps of un installation. You may refer the following link below for steps on uninstall of Parallels Desktop.

http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/23646.htm

While following steps given in the link above in step 3 check only option 'Parallels Desktop' and un check option 'Application settings' and proceed with the un installation.

2) Once uninstall is complete please proceed with the installation of Parallels Desktop from the same .dmg file downloaded on Desktop. You may refer the following link below for steps on 'Installation of Parallels Desktop'.

http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/22216.htm

After you install Parallels Desktop back again please reinstall Parallels Tools and check the status of the issue.

5. Big Koi

Big Koi Bit poster

What do you do if the uninstaller will not launch either.... bounces, then quits.

Thanks

6. jakeRI

jakeRI Bit poster

uninstaller

exactly - I followed this exactly, but uninstaller won't launch. Icon just bounces and ... nothing ...? help! (please)

7. superjas

superjas Bit poster

I have the same problem. this is BIG problem for me. Someone has solution?? Pleeease help us!! I have to use Parallels.

8. superjas

superjas Bit poster

I've exactly the same problem, uninstaller doesn't work, whole Parallels too. I'm using Snow Leo. help!!!!!

9. jakeRI

jakeRI Bit poster

Any help?

So I sprung for the new version of Parallels, hoping to overcome this problem. No dice. Installed it and get the exact same error message. Uninstaller still bounces. FML. How do I fix this? It's going on a month without access to my windows stuff ! HELP!

10. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

There should not be this problem for Parallels Desktop 5.0

For Parallels Desktop 4.0 please install the version (without uninstalling) and try the solution in http://kb.parallels.com/en/6317

11. superjas

superjas Bit poster

exactly the same problem is in ver. 5.0. uninstaller doesn't work too! 5.0 don't install correct.

12. superjas

superjas Bit poster

ver. 5.0 still doesn't work. there is the same problem which is in 4.0. installation is wrong, uninstaller doesn't work still

13. ksenks

ksenks Parallels Developers

superjas, please run in terminal
    'sudo kextstat |grep prl'
    and show it ouptup here.
    This help to understand the reason of the problem.

14. superjas

superjas Bit poster

is this command corrrect?
    i'm typing in terminal and nothing happend.

15. ksenks

This command displays what parallels kernel extensions are loaded.
    There is no any parallels kernel extension loaded on your system.
    So your problem is differ from published in the first post.
    Could you provide system.log (it is located in /var/log) immediately after trying to install PD5?
    It can help to know why installation doesn't work correct.

16. superjas

superjas Bit poster

17. ksenks

superjas, thanks for logs!
    Please describe more in details what problems exists during installation?
    If you can please send problem report (Menu Help->Report a prpblem) and post it's id.
    Please run in terminal 'ps aux | grep prl' and post output.

18. superjas

superjas Bit poster

from terminal: JM 296 0,7 0,0 2435032 524 s000 S+ 8:03 0:00.00 grep prl
    root 180 0,0 0,6 149296 11992 ?? S 7:34 0:00.88 /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_disp_service -e --logfile /var/log/prl_disp_service_server.log --pidfile /var/run/prl_disp_service.pid
    root 141 0,0 0,1 94580 2300 ?? Ss 7:34 0:00.03 /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_naptd

when I try to install PD5 or PD4 after 1 minute I can see this:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/303509274/inst.tiff.html

two other information - one-instullation succesfull, when I push restart I can see/in polish/ installation faild - see error/empty/ and restart. that's all.
    but components from PD are in -/application. I open PD - finding virtual machine, or system disc, then I can see this: "Unable to load Parallels driver. Restart your Mac and try again" "Unable to start the virtual machine. An unexpected error occurred while starting the virtual machine. Contact the Parallels support team for assistance." then I try to use uninstaller but doesn't work. that's all :(( somebody help!

19. bento

bento Bit poster

Me too!

Just wanted to chime in;

The exact same thing happened to me!
    After trying for hours, I gave up on Parallels DT 4 and purchased the DT5 upgrade - hoping the case was fixed there.
    But NO, nothing works... Same error message and same missing components in /System/Library/Extensions/.

One idea; When I check the installer log after trying to install either PD4 or PD5, the log says that it encountered a problem with MacFUSE install. Would that be a clue for the techs around here?

Let's all hope that this issue is fixed soon!

-Tom

20. pwb503

pwb503 Junior Member

Try Reinstalling Snow Leopard

See this thread here (http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=95882). I wouldn't have tried it if I wasn't at my wits end but it worked flawlessly, if you're having the same problems I was (and it sounds like you might) then a reinstall of SL might fix it.