Parallels 5 Won't Run After Installation

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by rmansfield, Nov 4, 2009.

1. rmansfield

rmansfield Member

I just upgraded to Parallels 5. I downloaded and ran the installer, which seemed to go fine.

But when I try to launch Parallels 5, after the icon bounces for a couple of minutes, nothing happens. It sits on my dock, but there's no dot to indicate it's running. However, according to the Activity Monitor, it is running.

I restarted my MacBook Pro (15" Late 2008 unibody, 2.8 Ghz., 4 GB RAM) and ran the installer again but there's no change.

I'm hoping someone from Parallels will see this and help.

I was running the beta to version 5 before this and version 4 before that, all the way back to version 2.

2. istranger

istranger Bit poster

Try killing VMWare process

I was having the SAME problem after upgrading both VMWare to 3.0 and Parallels to 5.0. I fixed it (sort of) by doing the following:

1) Open up the Activity Monitor (from your Utilities folder)
    2) Kill (Quit) the processes named "VMNET" (they have names like vmnet-netifup etc..) but if you search on "vmnet" you will see them listed

You should now be able to open Parallels 5.0

There is obviously some conflict between VMWare 3.0's daemons and Parallels

W.

3. lonewolfdj

lonewolfdj Bit poster

I also can't get it to run but I didn't have VMware installed or any other similar program. It just hangs and eventually I force quit it.....

4. rmansfield

rmansfield Member

Parallels doesn't use those files. As I posted in another thread, it's no so much that Parallels 5 is hung, but rather that it takes about 20 minutes to clear the cobwebs and function. Once it does that, it's fine. But who wants to wait 10 minutes for software to start??

I just looked at the activity monitor and after starting Parallels a couple of minutes ago, its status is "Not responding." But if I wait long enough, it will indeed respond.

5. SylvainD

SylvainD Bit poster

Same for me

Parallels fail to load after upgrade from version 4 to 5 ...
    It opens all my servor, disk and write Can not find Servor 192,168,1,108

I have a Macbook Pro with Lepards 10,6,1

Should not upgrade !

6. twilsonstudiolab

twilsonstudiolab Bit poster

starts eventually

I was having the same problem, but on the third try I got distracted instead of force-quitting, and eventually it launched. Since then I've timed it and it's a full five minutes before any sign of life.

Tim

7. STim

STim Bit poster

Can someone please post here a problem ID right after Parallels Desktop starts after a period of not responding?

To do so,
    1. Go to Help menu
    2. Select "Report a problem"
    3. Click "Send" and wait for a while until a confirmation with report ID pops up
    4. Post the problem report ID.

The problem report will contains some logs necessary to understand what's going on.

8. twilsonstudiolab

problem report

STim, here you go: 746257

Tim

9. STim

STim Bit poster

Thank you. Deeper investigation will be required for the problem, but for now I see that PD tries to do something with shared applications stubs and it takes long time.

Can you please confirm this by doing the following two simple tests:
    1. Go to VM configuration->Options->Shared Applications and disable the "Show Windows Applications in Dock" option. Start the VM and check if slow startup issue is still there. If it is,

2. Go to VM configuration->Options->Shared Applications and disable the whole "Share Windows Applications with Mac OS X" group. Start the VM and check if slow startup issues is still there.

Please let me know the results.

10. twilsonstudiolab

STim,

The "Share Windows Applications with Mac OS X" group was already turned off. I tried turning off "Share Mac OS X Applications with Windows", but no improvement. Then I realized: I have TWO VMs set up. So went through disabling items on the second VM one by one, testing in between:

"Show Windows Applications in Dock" disabled: no improvement.
    "Share Windows Applications with Mac OS X" disabled: no improvement
    "Share Mac OS X Applications with Windows"disabled: no improvement
    "Enable SmartMount" turned off: no improvement

These are all now turned off for both VMs. No improvement. Icon bounces in dock for 60 seconds, then another 4 minutes before Parallels menu appears.

Did another problem report, with all this turned off. Here's the ID: 749331

Hope that helps.

Tim

11. rmansfield

rmansfield Member

It's not the virtual machine that is slow to start up. It's Parallels itself that is slow to start up. After launching it, it doesn't become available for anything for at least 5 to 10 minutes.

12. mvcl

mvcl Bit poster

Yes, improved!

In fact my windows launch was going nowhere after installation.
    I turned off the options you suggested, and now after a reboot, everything comes up nicely.

13. lonewolfdj

lonewolfdj Bit poster

I'm having the same issue as some other users.... Parallels itself won't load. It just hangs and I have to force quit the app. I can't even get to the point where I can load one of the virtual machines. Once in about every ten times I launch, it will work. I was on V4. This is very frustrating - especially after having to shell out $50 after I paid for the V4 upgrade not that long ago.

14. STim

STim Bit poster

15. Richard Jacobs

Richard Jacobs Bit poster

Parallels 5 hangs

I have a MacPro with 4 gigs of RAM. I just upgraded to OS X Snow Leopard and upgraded from Parallels 3.0 to Parallels 5.0. The software installed after fits and starts, but would hang when I attempt to launch the virtual machine (running Windows XP) from the docking bar. I uninstalled Parallels 5, following the instructions posted on their webpage and reinstalled the latest build, posted on the Parallels webpage. Same story. Installs with fits and starts and hangs when launched -- and I waited 5 minutes. I spent 2 hours on the phone with a level I technician in a Mikogo session, but the problem continued. I've been trying to get to a second level technician for 3 days now, without any luck. I keep getting inane emails from a different technicians saying, "Sorry you're having problems. Please describe your problem to us." -- as though I haven't done that 50 times already via phone and email. I even sent the problem report details to the Parallel technicians that OS X volunteers to send to Apple when it hangs.

I am unable to make this software work, please assist.

Richard Jacobs, M.D.
    rdjacobs@cox.net