Ubuntu does not go to full screen resolution

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by tkubaska, Sep 12, 2008.

1. tkubaska

tkubaska Bit poster

This problem has bothered me all day today and I've put in several hours of research so help is strongly appreciated. I just bought and installed Parallels today.

I've been looking through this forum all day but cannot find anyone with the issue I am experiencing. I've also checked the Ubuntu forums. I think my issue is on the overlap with Parallels and Ubuntu.

Here's some Ubuntu information...
    When I run Ubuntu 8.04, it comes up OK but does not fill my screen in Full Screen Mode. The resolution of my MacBook is 1440x900, but I do not see that option under System->Preferences->Screen Resolution for Ubuntu. In fact I cannot find where the resolutions listed in the Ubuntu dropdown are defined ... I checked /etc/X11/xorg.conf where I expected them to be), but there are no specific resolutions listed there.

Here's some Parallels information ...
    Now I can fill up my screen by setting Preferences->Appearances and clicking Change Mac OS X resolution. But then the resolution is poor (although filling the screen).

On Windows host, Ubuntu guest and VMware workstation I do not see this problem.

Specifics ...
    Mac OS X 10.5.4 (9E17)
    MacBook Pro
    Graphics NVIDEA (0x10de) Rom Revision 3212

Parallels Desktop 3.0 Build 5608

-ted

2. Bradillac

Bradillac Bit poster

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  3. tkubaska

tkubaska Bit poster

thanks I'll try this

I did get full screen by messing with x.org.conf on my own. Single screen does not work so well, but full screen is fine. By single screen not working well, I meant it is a large single screen that I cannot resize. But as I said full screen is so far doing what it should.

I was unable to install Paralleltools the last time I tried. I got the error message that everyone else seems to get. I'll try with this new build. I have the 15-inch MacBook Pro version with max 1440x900.

I was going to attach the x.org.conf file I edited but 1) it's very similar to that blog entry you pointed me to earlier and 2) you already seem to have a better solution.

-ted

4. Bradillac

Bradillac Bit poster

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

6. bits95

bits95 Bit poster

A known good xorg.conf file for Intel iMac 20 inch with ATI

Hey all. None of the links or suggestions corrected my resolutions problems with Ubuntu 8.04, however I remembered having Ubuntu 7.10 installed for Parallels 3.0 and its full resolution of 1680x1050 worked perfect in every way (full screen or single screen). I copied the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file from version 7.10 to 8.04 and restarted X display manager. Poof, all is well in my universe for now.

I'm not sure what's in the xorg.conf file that makes it work correctly, I think it's the DRI option at the bottom of the file. I think that's for ATI cards, which I have an ATI X1600 in my Intel iMac running Mac OS X (10.5) Leopard.

I can't remember where I had found the fix. Try it out, but save your original xorg.conf file first.

http://macbent.blogspot.com/2008/10/ubuntu-resolution-on-20-imac.html

7. jackball

jackball Bit poster

I tried this, but I can't install Parallels-Tools. When trying to follow the on-screen instructions, I fail at accessing Parallels-Tools installation files. When I browse the content on /media/cdrom it looks like this:

http://img395.imageshack.us/my.php?image=parallelspicturelq0.png

I assume that the cd-rom drive should have Parallels Desktop cd inserted, but I don't have one, since I bought the download version.

So I can't install Parallels-Tools. Anyone have any suggestions? It'd be sweet to run Ubuntu Studio in full screen mode at 1280x1024, or even in Full HD resolutions, but it's a no go at the moment.

I also have another problem: I can't shutdown Ubuntu Studio cleanly. My Vista shutdown always failed when I had Airport turned on in MacOSX. After having turned it off, Vista shut down cleanly. Now my Ubuntu Studio just hangs in there and doesn't turn off.

8. jackball

jackball Bit poster

OK, I managed to get Ubuntu Studio to full screen with the help of this:

http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/04/2...-os-x-using-parallels-a-complete-walkthrough/

Just had to emulate the cd/dvd-rom drive in configuration editor and I was able to install Parallels-Tools and now I'm able to run Ubuntu Studio in full screen mode @ 1280x1024.

Still Ubuntu hangs when stutdown. Not really a big problem, since I can stop the virtual machine, but it'd be nice if I could do a clean shut down of Ubuntu.

9. tulf

tulf Bit poster

Parallels Tools won`t install

With ubuntu 8.10 and the mentioned new build of parallels for Mac the installation of parallels tools fails
    for the reason: Expected xorg version 1.5, installed version 1.5.2 .
    This a annoying! please advise for a fix. The installation script of parallels tols does provide an option
    for this problem.
    Kind Regards
    tulf

10. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

@jackball

Parallels Tools come with Parallels either it's the download version or not.

11. disciple

disciple Parallels Team

Now there is only one solution for Ubuntu 8.10 - Parallels Desktop 4.

12. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

This of course means that there eventually be a version of PDM 3 that works with Ubuntu 8.10, if you say 8.10 will probably not work under PDM 3 and I have to switch to PDM 4 I'll switch to another VM solution right away because that gives me zero guarantees that the next version of Ubuntu will work with PDM 4 and you'll be by then saying it will only work with PDM 5 and we have to pay for the upgrade. Also if you say PDM 3 will support 8.10 you better mean it. Careful with what you say.

13. AntonioT

AntonioT Bit poster

I have just installed Parallels Desktop 4.0 trial version, to test if I can get Ubuntu 9.04 to work properly. Everything seems to work fine, except for the resolution, since I can only set 1024 x 768. This is unfortunate, so I tried to modify the xorg.conf, but whatever I write in it doesn't seem to affect the results. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thank you very much in advance.

14. MSverboten

MSverboten Bit poster

Configure your Ubuntu VM to have at least 16MB of memory as it usually defaults to 3MB. That is how I got mine to work properly.

15. AntonioT

AntonioT Bit poster

Thank you very much, now it works perfectly :)

16. bostonantifan

bostonantifan Member

What is build 5624? Parallels 4.0 for Mac is at 3846?

17. dersh

dersh Bit poster

I had 4.0 installed and ubuntu 8.04 was working fine with parallel tools. I just upgraded to 5.0, reinstalled parallel tools and now I get an error on boot:
    "ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode. Your screen and graphics card could not be detected correctly. To use higher resolutions, visual effects or multiple screens you have to configure the display yourself"
    I really am not sure how to configure, so I have just hit continue.
    And the mouse in/out of the window is working.
    So it seems that with this upgrade to 5.0 parallel tools for Linux (or Ubuntu anyway) is broken.
    Any ideas?

18. RussB

RussB Bit poster

Try running the following from a terminal command window...

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Also, make sure you increase the amount of RAM available for the video driver. Mine defaulted to 2 or 3MB. I believe you need at least 8MB.

Also, if you loose your mouse, you'll need to comment out the line in xorg.conf about the Parallels Mouse. I had too. Restart the X server, and you'll get it back

Section "ServerLayout"
    InputDevice "Synaptics Touchpad"
    # InputDevice "Parallels Mouse" "CorePointer"
    Identifier "Default Layout"
    Screen "Default Screen"
    EndSection

19. Stephen Martin

Stephen Martin Bit poster

Memory to video in configuration of Parallels for Ubuntu 9.10 was 3MB, only good for 800x640.

Took video RAM up to 16MB, and now it's full screen no problem.

Parallels 5 VMTools kills Ubuntu 9.10, though ... had to restore from Time Machine to pre-vmtools state.

20. Rita W

Rita W Bit poster

unable to go to full screen resolution in Ubuntu

I just downloaded the newest version of Ubuntu 9.10 and i have parallels 5 newest version. I checked ram is 2G video gives me max resolution the only thing is i still don't have full screen? Unable to install parallels tools. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix the problem? thanks