5.0 - what is the BEST way to add printers

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ChristopherB, Nov 6, 2009.

1. ChristopherB

ChristopherB Member

I'm using Windows XP as a guest. When I enable "Printer Port" and use Default (or manually select either of my available printers in the dropdown list) - nothing is detected in the XP Guest as a printer.

I have to do the old route of installing the HP Colorjet printer and assigning it to LPT1. Is this correct? Seems odd it is hard to find instructions on how this should work.

I would have liked to see it working like Fusion 3.0's passthrough feature where I didn't do anything but select "Printer" and it just worked in the guests.

Please advise.

2. Zeos786

Zeos786 Junior Member

I use Apple Bonjour (it should be one of the programs in your Windows Programs list). This allows Win 7 to use your Mac printer setup.

3. ChristopherB

ChristopherB Member

Is this the way you are expected to do this? Because it is not documented except in the kb and how many people are going to look there? It isn't in the product help that I can find.

Sure more experienced users can make it work, but even the old way isn't very intuitive or easy for many.

Not to harp, but when I did a trial of Fusion 3.0 I simply selected "Printer" and my printer was available in my Windows guest with no configuration at all. I didn't install Bonjour or anything.

And Parallels documentation recommends using Shared networking mode and the Bonjour way requires Bridged.

4. Zeos786

Zeos786 Junior Member

I used VMWare for a while, and admit printer sharing there is as easy as clicking a single check box. However, I had no problem setting up my printer with Bonjour under Parallels. I even used it to set up our a Rico copier/printer at work. I downloaded the Win 7 drivers from the Ricoh web site, and when Bonjour asked for drivers, pointed it to the downloaded files. Works perfectly fine.

5. hanspeterh

hanspeterh Junior Member

i had also Problems whit Serval Windows whit my Canon Ink Printer under SL MAC working no problem but i when i try print someting from Windows It say Printer not responding ! and give my a error Mess on the Mac.
    Now i fund out i mus Conect the Printer direct to usb Port on Board (Have mac Pro) Then it works !!!!!!!
    i dont now why the USB hub is Powered! So there is enouf Power.
    Anyway try to connect direct to a onboard USB for mee that helps !

Sincerly
    Hanspeter