access denied to VM for other users

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by MartinB, May 21, 2009.

1. MartinB

MartinB Bit poster

Hi there, I have a problem which I could not find a solution for so far, so I ask for your help. I run Desktop 4.0 under OS X 10.5.7. I have a VM (Vista) which works fine for the administrator account. Now I have created a new user account and can not make the VM work for that. I copied the VM to /users/for all users/, I changed the access rights (read/write for all users) and repaired the rights. But every time I try to start the VM with my second user accound I get the message "Access denied. You are not allowed to use that Virtual Machine." I have no idea how to fix it. Any ideas?

Best regards,
    Martin

2. JangM

JangM Bit poster

I have the same problem. The Parallel Desktop ver 3 allows multiple users (on mac os) to access the VM, but this does not work any more on the new ver 4. I put the VM (mine is Windows XP) in the Shared user folder and I have 5 user accounts in Mac OS. For ver3, all 5 users can access VM. But after upgrading to ver 4 on user1 account, I can't open VM on user2, so I change the access right to R&W for the VM file for user2 and I can access VM. But user1 can no longer access VM. I tried the same thing on user 3, then user2 can't access. I.e. the ver4 only allows 1 user to access VM.

I hope to see a solution fast, as otherwise the VM is not going to be useful for multi user environment.

3. galochka

galochka Hunter

4. JangM

JangM Bit poster

Thank you very much, I followed the instructions and it works.
    I just think that maybe the multi-users mode should be enabled by default, since all users will be using the same VM and the admin user can create separate Windows id on the VM. When I upgrade from ver 3 to ver 4, the program didn't ask if I want to enable the multi-user mode or not.

Anyway, I'm very happy to be able to use VM for all my users again!

5. galochka

galochka Hunter

Hello,

Indeed during upgrade from Parallels Desktop 3.0 to 4.0 you will not see such option like eneble multi-users access to VM.
    But when you create Virtual machine there is such option: http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/22437.htm (same option was in Parallels Desktop 3.0)
    The option is disable due security reasons, for example person does not want to share machine and he may forget to disable this option. That is why Share VM with multiple users is disabled by design.

6. abrasha

abrasha Member

I can't make it work.

I have followed the instructions in the link provided by galochka:

I tried to share my Windows XP virtual machine with another account on my Mac. I am running OS X 10.5.7, and Parallels Desktop 4.0.3848. I followed the instructions to the letter.

I moved my XP vm to users/shared/parallels. I then located it again. It continues to run fine in my own account, but it will not run in the user account on my computer. When I try to run it, the "New Virtual Machine Assistant" opens, and I am asked to install the OS again.

The file for the vm does not look the same in the other user account either. It is no longer a file, it is now a folder with a - sign in a red circle on it. The name of the folder is the same as my vm, i.e. Windows XP.pvm. When I double click on it to try to start the vm that way, I get a dialog box with the following error message in it:

The specified bundle is invalid. The bundle does not contain a valid Parallels virtual machine.

I am very frustrated about this. Any advice to make this work is appreciated.