10.6.1 won't boot after parallels 5 update

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by xochi, Nov 5, 2009.

1. xochi

xochi Member

I'm running on 10.5.8 (Intel) and had installed a copy of 10.6.1 server, that worked fine when under Parallels 4.0.

Updated today to parallels 5.0, and now the 10.6.1 VM won't boot - I get the grey apple booting screen and it just sits there forever.

Anyone else running 10.6.x under Parallels 5 ?

2. RAGHAV MOHINDROO

RAGHAV MOHINDROO Bit poster

10.6.1- XP Wont boot in parallel 5 update

I have recently updated to Parallel 5.0 from 4.0 and the system wont boot XP.

BLUE screen of death appears stating

WORKER_THREAD_RETURNED_AT_BAD_IRQL

Any solution as i am stuck badly with this problem.

thanks

3. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

I've just tested the scenario with taking 10.6.1 VM from PD4 and starting it in PD5 and it worked successfully on my machine for both 1CPU and 2CPUs. Please try the following steps:

1. Try to remove file nvram.dat from the VirtualMachine directory (in my case it is located in /Users/user/Documents/Parallels/PD4-10.6-SMP.pvm/NVRAM.dat). I'm unsure that this helps, but please try

2. Start the VM, click inside VMs window and hold alt-v to boot in verbose mode. This will show what's going on while boot. May be you need to open the VM configuration->Boot Order and enable "Select boot device on startup" to have some time to click inside VM until Mac OS is started

4. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

I forgot some things that are required to boot in verbose mode:

After pressing alt-v while boot, there should appear screen to select boot device. Press space and will appear "Boot:" invitation. Type "-v" (without quotes) and hit enter

5. xochi

xochi Member

Not having any luck with "alt-v" -- isn't it "apple-v" to boot in verbose mode?

6. xochi

xochi Member

Ok, finally got it to boot in verbose mode -- it's tricky:

1. in the VM settings, I set "select boot device on startup"
    2. when it launches, click the window and hold down Alt-V (option-V) on some keyboards.
    3. you should then see the parallels boot loader screen. hit the space bar and you will see "Boot:"
    4. type -v and hit enter

7. xochi

xochi Member

Here is the diagnostics from booting in verbose mode:

The final line:
    Code:
    SLserver fseventsd[53]: failed to make the directory /Volumes/SharedFolders/.fseventsd (22/Invalid Argument).

Other perhaps interesting lines in the boot log:
    Code:
    SLserver prl_fsd[99] prl_tg driver is not loaded
    SLserver prl_fsd[113] prl_tg driver is not loaded
    SLserver prl_fsd[119] prl_tg driver is not loaded
    SLserver com.apple.kextd[21]: Can't create kext cache under / - owner not root

8. xochi

xochi Member

How to Safe boot + Verbose boot with OS X guest VM

How to do a Safe + Verbose boot using a OS X VM:

1. In the VM settings window, Hardware, Boot Order options, set "Select boot device on startup" ON.
    2. boot the VM, and click in the window.
    3. (timing here is tricky) when you see the "hit ESC to select boot device" quickly hit Option-v a few times (on some keyboards the option key is labelled Alt, in which case hit Alt-v)
    4. If you got it right, you should see the Parallels Boot drive chooser. If the mac starts booting into the grey booting screen, then you were too slow, and you'll need to stop the VM and start over at step 2.
    5. Click on the hard drive icon.
    6. hit the space bar.
    7. at the bottom of the screen, it will say "Boot:"
    8. type -x -v and hit Enter
    9. This will boot your VM into safe mode + verbose mode.

9. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Agree... we should provide something less tricky

Btw, have booting in the verbose mode shown anything interesting?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  10. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

It's ok, it will gone after tools installation

And this one seems to be the problem. I can't provide exact steps at the moment (likely do it tomorrow), but likely step should be
    1) boot into the single-user mode (specify -s instead of -v)
    2) execute next commands:
    Code:
    /sbin/fsck -fy
    /sbin/mount -uw /
    chown 0:0 /

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  11. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

typo. Instead of "chmod 0:0 /" must be "chown 0:0 /"

12. GALLAT

GALLAT Bit poster

See my answer to #Does upgrade need to reinstall. It will be the same for this case.

13. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

I've just checked the sequence

I think that it will fix the problem..
    btw, it seems that this issue may also occur on real-hardware Mac OS Installations

14. xochi

xochi Member

Thanks for all the help, but I was still not able to fix it. ended up just reinstalling 10.6 server from scratch under Parallels 5, and now it seems to work fine. Not the best solution, but at least i'm running again.

15. Lenny Wolf

Lenny Wolf Bit poster

updatig to 10.6.2 not possible with Parallels 5 installed :-(

I updated my macbook Air via Apples software installation program from Snow 10.6.1 to 10.6.2. (500Mb) Blue screen of death forever, changing it's brightness level and the black little circle being visible on and off.
    Had to re install snow 10.6.1 to get it back to work. Tried ALL possible key commands when booting the mac, nothing worked. Called Apple support. They said that Parallels "5" seems to be the trouble maker.

Anybody else having had this problem, and/or fixes out of experience????
    I'm not a very technical guy, so easy to understand fixes would be much appreciated.

De-installing Parallels every time I wanna update my mac cannot be the way to go.

Thanks