Parallels Desktop 5 Mac severe Problems

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by BeatB, Nov 6, 2009.

1. BeatB

BeatB Bit poster

Hi all
    I am really disappointed about Parallels Desktop 5. I bought it yesterday in the hope that the virtual machines would get a boost, now I am ending up with a mess.
    Parallels Desktop permanently crashes on my machine. Upgrade old machines as well as installing new machines leads to crashes so in fact, right now this is an update for nothing.

I am on a MacPro Quadcore with six gig of Ram, one should believe that this is a good enough configuration.

Any one else having the same problems? maybe even found a solution to. I really don't want to end up as a win user on mac spending all my time with bugs instead of being productive.

Thanks in advance.

2. I-che

I-che Pro

BeatB, from what version of PD (2, 3, 4) you upgrade to PD 5? What are Guest Operating systems? need more details to be able to answer the question.

3. serv

serv Forum Maven

BeatB,

when PD crashed it should have suggested to send a problem report. Can you recall any of report IDs? Or would you mind to generate one and post report ID for me?

4. BeatB

BeatB Bit poster

I upgraded from 4 to 5. and here we go again. Tried to start a new instalation. What is real wierd, I have the impression that in the background is a vm running. Just now I had a start beep from windows.

Date/Time: 2009-11-06 12:57:51 +0100
    OS Version: 10.6.1 (Build 10B504)
    Architecture: x86_64
    Report Version: 6

Command: Parallels Desktop
    Path: /Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_client_app
    Version: 5.0 (9220.531002)
    Build Version: 5.0.9220.531002
    Project Name: Parallels
    Source Version: 9220.531002
    Parent: launchd [222]

PID: 4705
    Event: hang
    Duration: 6.57s (sampling started after 2 seconds)
    Steps: 45 (100ms sampling interval)

Pageins: 266
    Pageouts: 0

Process: prl_client_app [4705]
    Path: /Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_client_app
    UID: 501

5. serv

serv Forum Maven

BeatB,

Sorry, I should have explained better. By generating a problem report I meant selecting Report a Problem from Parallels Help menu. Doing so will collect the necessary information and submit it to Parallels. You'll get a notice with report ID when submission completes.

6. Raymond Weeth

Raymond Weeth Junior Member

Pretty much same problem. MacPro dual quad core with 8gb ram multiple hard drives. Upgraded today and I get a BSOD in my Win7. If I new how to capture it and include it I would. New to the Mac World. Upgraded from 4 to 5. All the hype about how much it was improved made me think I should upgrade. Now I have nothing.

7. BeatB

BeatB Bit poster

you can capture it with command shift 4. I want to state clearly that this is for sure not a mac issue!

8. Phil Raby-Smith

Phil Raby-Smith Bit poster

Similar problems

Same here. OS Snow Leopard on a Mac Pro. PD5 upgrade installed fine but no VM upgrade appeared to happen. Windows 7 gave me repeated BSOD for 5 hours and now starts, after tinkering with Configuration but no programs will boot within it.

9. Raymond Weeth

Not Mac but parallels 5

The problem may not be Mac but when everything is working and you upgrade using their new and improved program with simple upgrade to have no VM the problem is in the Parallels software process.

10. devx

devx Bit poster

Guys, who experience problems with PD5 on MacPro's, please try adding "kernel.npt.enable=0" to VM->configuration -> Hardware -> Boot order -> Boot flags window and check whether it helps?

11. Raymond Weeth

Devx
    I am new to the Mac, so I am not sure how to do what you are suggesting or where to do it.

12. Raymond Weeth

Devx,
    Sorry about previous post figured out, and I no longer get the BSOD. Win 7 booted, tools installed, and I am now able to access my windows software. Which I hope to do less and less in the future. What did the code actually do, and do I need to keep it in the boot flags?
    Thanks.

13. devx

devx Bit poster

Not a problem. Switch to VM window. Then go to menu on top of the screen and select "Virtual Machine" and then "Configure". You will see a VM configuration dialog which has 3 tabs on top "General", "Options" and "Hardware". Click on "Hardware". On the left you will see a list of hardware, select "Boot Order". Now on the right you will find "Boot flags" and a text field where you need to type "kernel.npt.enable=0" and press "Ok" button to save the settings. Try to start VM after that.

14. devx

devx Bit poster

So these flag helped you, correct? It disables new processors Intel EPT virtualization feature. It will add some overhead in performance, but not that big, so if you have stability problems - use it until we resolved the issue.

15. Phil Raby-Smith

Phil Raby-Smith Bit poster

Thanks, Devx
    That works!

16. NeilG

NeilG Bit poster

Upgraded to 5 from 4

I purchased an upgrade to Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac. When I inserted the CD it told me there was a newer version available which I downloaded.

When I try to start up Parallels, I can hear the windows startup and occasionally see a frozen picture of previous Windows desktop. I get a spinning ball and eventually the message that the connection failed.

Thanks,

Neil

17. I-che

I-che Pro

18. NeilG

NeilG Bit poster

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

19. NeilG

NeilG Bit poster

Thank you. I think I removed all aliases but it still didn't work. I was unable to: Make sure the virtual machine is stopped. Open virtual machine configuration (Virtual Machine > View Configuration > Options tab > Shared Applications ) and clear Show Windows applications folder in Dock check box, click OK. In case you still can not start the virtual machine after it, try to clear check boxes Share Windows applications with Mac OS X and Share Mac OS X applications with Windows. because I couldn't get the spinning ball to stop, and hence could not access anything with Parallels. I appreciate the help.

Neil Gold

20. NeilG

NeilG Bit poster

I got it to work. Thank you so much for your help!
    Neil