Windows 98 Driver Problem

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Robert T., Nov 14, 2008.

1. KiernanP

KiernanP Bit poster

I would also like the vmtools.iso

Thanks

2. KemT

KemT Bit poster

Please add me to the list for the vmtools.iso, and for the 4.0 compatible driver when it comes out. Thanks.

3. hbutz

hbutz Bit poster

ditto

I would also like the vmtools.iso

Thanks

4. Nick Baker

Nick Baker Bit poster

Drivers File

Hi

I to would like a copy of the Win98 drivers iso

thanks

Nick

5. NathanielC

NathanielC Bit poster

I would also like a copy of this driver please. One of the main reasons I got this program was so that I could run older games on Windows 98 (and possibly 95 if necessary). Without sound it just isn't as fun. Thank you.

Has anyone else here had any success or failure with this driver?

6. Chris Hayes

Chris Hayes Bit poster

I could use a copy of vmtools.iso, as well.

If this file is working for people in Parallels 4, then clearly it should be possible to get us "supported" sound drivers, rather than having to keep giving people the parallels 3 iso. Just a thought. ;)

7. atom.bln

atom.bln Bit poster

...:::eek:)))

I also need the vmtools.iso to get sound working on windows 98 under parallels 4. Please email it to me. Thanks.

8. Stijn

Stijn Bit poster

Mee too

Could I get a copy too plz...
    thx!!

9. Stijn

Stijn Bit poster

Could I get a copy of vmtools.iso too please?

Thank You,

10. atom.bln

atom.bln Bit poster

...:::eek:)))

i've received the vmtools.iso from a friend (he is using the 3.x version). after installing the audio works fine.
    now i try to fix 1440x900 as the best resolution for my macbookpro with powerstrip, but i dont know the horizontal and vertical frequency. do anybody can help? i have installed the driver from parallels and the resolution 1020x768 is the highest without scrolling.
    t...:::eek:)))m

11. niLsn

niLsn Bit poster

vmtools.iso

Hello,

Could I get a copy of vmtools.iso as well, please?

/*Best
    niLs*/

12. Patrick Carmack

Patrick Carmack Bit poster

Can you send a copy to me as well?

13. ChristophK

ChristophK Bit poster

Hi

I to would like a copy of the Win98 drivers iso. For Parallel Desktop 5 for mac. I am stuck with a VGA Resolution with 16 Colours which doesn't allow me to run the programme I want.

thanks

Christoph

14. AmauryV

AmauryV Member

hi all,
    i would like a copy of the vmtools.iso as well.
    thank you.

15. Jeff James

Jeff James Bit poster

i would like a copy of the windiws 98 vmtools.iso as well.
    thank you.

16. slk

slk Junior Member

Win98 sound and video in Parallels 5

There's a twin thread at http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=31494 [maybe a moderator could merge the two?], where I posted the details on a Win98 sound driver which worked for me in Parallels 5. The Parallels 3 driver did not. The Parallels 3 video driver for Win98 still works for me in Parallels 5.

17. DaleE

DaleE Member

Windows 98 Parallels 4 Drivers Installed iMac 24 - Need missing drivers that work

I am working on Parallels version 4 and 5 install of Windows 98SE on iMac 24 and MacBook Pro 17. I am wondering what drivers are showing in device manager once vmtools.iso from version 3 are installed. Remember to leave Parallels set to 1 processor until all installs complete. Then change to the number of processors actually on Mac. This is because W98 does not recognize multiple processors. But Mac OS controls multiple processors (Snow Leopard).

Under versions 4 and 5 here are the results I have in device manager after installing W98 and prl-tools-other.iso (It appears Parallels has ignored requests to fix the issues with Windows98SE and older.)
    CDROM - installed okay
    Disk Drivers - installed okay Widows XP PRO reports Intel 82801BA Ultra ATA storage Controller - 2448 (Bootcamp)
    Display Adapters - Parallels Video Adapter - had to go into device manager and manually find and install each device
    Floppy Disk - installed okay
    Hard Disk controllers - installed okay
    Keyboard - installed okay the Standard 101/102 keyboard
    Monitor - Parallel Vu - had to go into device manager and manually find and install in order to work with anything other
    16 color. Finally got W98 to recognize the driver and able to use up to 24 bit color and over
    1600x1200 resolution. Parallels driver is poorly written and buggy. I ended up on iMac 24 with
    1280x1024 because it appears Parallels does not provide the proper driver for wide screen
    displays. Also screen refresh is like a window shade going down screen. Really SLOOOWW
    Mouse - installed Miscrosoft PS/2 Port Mouse - Does anyone have another mouse driver showing as installed and a
    driver file to attach link here? This driver does okay in Windows but when IE is open for
    example, it jumps, disappears, and is cannot be sized to make larger and more visible. Really
    hard to work with. Tried HID Compliant Mouse (Human Interface Device) what ever that means.
    However neither seem to work very well in Parallels once an app is opened.
    Thinking of installing MS Intelimouse driver. It has some options to customize mouse and
    pointer. Apple Optical mouse shows in Mac profiler.app as Mitsumi Electric. Anyone have a driver
    that works really good? Of course WXP PRO reports Parallels Mouse sync Device missing in W98.
    Network - installed okay. Realtek RTL8029 PCI Ethernet NIC Anyone have any suggestions or using a different driver?
    Apple Profiler app shows the Broadcom BCM43xx. Again Parallels Ethernet Adapter missing in
    W98.
    Other Devices - Boy did Parallels leave this in a mess. PCI Card (there is none - but don't know what the real device is)
    Two unknown devices - suspect these are iSight camera USB device and Bluetooth USB device)
    Anyone have solutions they have come up with. Maybe because USB 2 drivers must be written.
    Sound - Avance AC97 Audio for VIA Audio Controller. (I also have Realtek AC97Audio) The VIA is showing not
    functioning correctly while the Realtex AC97 is now showing as okay in device manager.
    Interesting because it would not work properly before install of VIA. What is anyone else
    showing for this Intel 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller on iMac 24 that is working properly?
    WXP PRO showing Intel 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller version 5.1.2535.0 dated
    7/1/2001 and missing fromW98 drivers. Could not locate exact version. If I could it should work
    in W98 as well. Intel does supply a later driver for W98 but could not get it to work with
    Parallels. Contains video capture WDM Video for windows Capture Device(Win32) in WXP.
    System bus and USB controllers - install okay.

Would like to get a section going to post Parallels Desktop for Mac versions 4 and 5 all needed drivers which will work in Windows 98SE for each Mac model. Some of the drivers can be determined from Mac system profiler.app; however many hardware devices I have had to determine by installing Windows XP PRO and looking in device manager.

18. slk

slk Junior Member

Win98 SE Parallels 3 devices, original MacBook Pro

I've found that performance dropped in my Win98 VM running in Parallels 5 (vs Parallels 4), so I split off 8GB into a new partition and installed Tiger (allows me to run some software that Snow Leopard doesn't support). This gave me a second OS X boot partition, where I could install and update Parallels 3, without interfering with Parallels 5 on the same machine. Now I have a better-performing Win98SE VM than Parallels 5, Fusion, or VirtualBox can offer in OS X.

Here's the hardware in Device Mgr, as Parallels 3 presents it (on an original MacBook Pro), after Parallels Tools installation (all drivers are Microsoft 4-23-99, except where noted parenthetically):
    • CD-ROM: Matshita DVD-R UJ-857
    • DIsk Drives: generic IDE disk type47, generic NEC floppy disk
    • Display adapters: Parallels Video Adapter (Parallels 10-17-2008)
    • Floppy Disk controllers: Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    • Hard disk controllers: primary IDE controller (single fifo), Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller
    •*Keyboard: Standard 101/102-key or MS Natural Keyboard
    • Monitors: Default Monitor
    • Mouse: Standard PS/2 Port Mouse
    • Network Adapters: Dial-Up Adapter, Realtek RT8029(AS) PCI Ethernet NIC
    • Other devices (not working): PCI bridge, PCI Universal Serial Bus
    •*Ports: Printer Port (LPT1)
    •*Sound, video and game controllers: Avance AC'97 Audio for Intel Audio Controller (Avance Logic 10-17-2008), Avance SB Emulation (Avance Logic 10-17-2008), Gameport Joystick, Sound Blaster 16 or AWE-32 or compatible (not working)
    •*System devices: Advances Power Mgt support (not working), Direct memory access controller, IO read data port for ISA Plug and Play enumerator, Numeric data processor, PCI bus, PCI standard host CPU bridge, PCI standard ISA bridge, Processor support, Programmable interrupt controller, System board, System CMOS/real time clock, System speaker, System timer
    •*Universal Serial Bus controllers: Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller, USB Root Hub

Using the trackpad, I haven't seen trouble with the mouse in Parallels 3, nor do I remember it in Parallels 4. In both Parallels 4 and 5, whenever I opened a DOS prompt in Win98, performance would drag until a short time after I closed it. I don't see that in Parallels 3. In both Parallels 3 and 4, Win98 started crashing on shutdown only after I manually installed the Parallels 3 video driver. In the VM where Parallels 3 Tools installed the video driver, I've never seen that crash.

19. masqn

masqn Bit poster

driver

can i get a copy of the vmtools.iso please

20. Hoer ParkerP

Hoer ParkerP Bit poster

Hello,

Could I get a copy of vmtools.iso as well, please?

Best!