Problem playing Sid Meiers Pirates!

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Steelbom, May 26, 2009.

1. Steelbom

Steelbom Member

Hi, on my old Windows XP Pro computer, I had this game running just fine, now it seems to say
    "This application cannot run with an active debugger in memory.
    Please unload the debugger and restart the application."

I can only guess this has something to do with Parallels, I've tried it on Windows XP Pro, and Windows 7 on Parallels, and it results in the same thing.

Does anyone know what's wrong?

Kind Regards
    Me

2. galochka

galochka Hunter

3. Steelbom

Steelbom Member

Hi thanks

Hi thanks for the reply, I thought that might have been the solution.
    But there is no /DEBUG in boot.ini, before /fastdetect, there is /noexecute=optin
    I'm not sure what that means...

I also checked in vista ultimate and win 7 and found no boot.ini

Kind regards

4. galochka

galochka Hunter

5. Steelbom

Steelbom Member

Hi, I'll look at that documentation, here is the content of boot.ini for Windows XP Pro:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Kind Regards

6. Steelbom

Steelbom Member

amdfix.sys was not found, searched for hidden & system files.
    I'll continue the rest of the steps tomorrow.

Kind regards

7. Steelbom

Steelbom Member

I followed step 2, doing a clean boot, all non-windows services disabled, and it still won't run...!

I think I will give up on the game, unless you get any last minute "Oh! that's what it is" solutions:p

Thanks again for your help.
    Kind Regards

8. Sean Butler

Sean Butler Bit poster

Same with Roller coaster Tycoon

I've recently downloaded this classic game, yet get the message as noted above around an active debugger in memory. I've tried a bunch of the suggestions to no avail.

I recently upgraded to V5.0 and hoped this would help, no change there either.

The link posted for supported games is non functional, but I'm guessing this game is not on the supported list.

Seems like a simple requirement to play games from like 2000 on this virtual machine. The graphics and sound requirements should be quite low.

Anyone have success either with this game or getting around this active debugger message?

Thanks,

Sean

9. biglar

biglar Pro

I am running Roller Coaster Tycoon Platinum on PD5 and it runs perfectly. Imac Windows xp Professional 4 gb memory.
    In previous versions graphics on the start screen would not show, but in PD5 all is well. Not sure what is causing your problem. As you know, 3d installation must be enabled.

10. Sean Butler

Sean Butler Bit poster

I wonder if the game itself is to blame then. If a "newer" version works but this older one does not. I'm assuming that the Platinum version is newer than Roller Coaster Tycoon #2.

I've turned off the Parallel tools in the boot up of windows. Is there any program that can show me what that debugger is? Kind of like the new Snow Leopard feature to tell you what is stopping a drive from unmounting, I'd like an application to say "this application is running a debugger" so I can shut it down or something.

I think the 3d installation is enabled. Can you tell me more about how to check this?

Thanks,

Sean