Kaspersky problems after upgrade to Parallels 5

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by TucsonTom, Nov 11, 2009.

1. TucsonTom

TucsonTom Member

I upgraded to Parallels 5. Now Kaspersky internet security won't run file anti-virus or Firewall. File anti-virus gives me the message "Flie Anti-Virus : failed (not implemented.) When I click firewall there are three problems under the configure heading: Firewall: Partially running, Filtration system: failed, Intrusion detection system: failed. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Kaspersky, but it didn't help. Please advise as to what I should do now.

2. Anupama A

Anupama A Pro

Hello,

Could you please let us know the version of windows that you are using.

3. TucsonTom

TucsonTom Member

Windows XP professional. All updates are installed.

4. TucsonTom

TucsonTom Member

FYI, the uninstall didn't actually work. I get a missing file error. "The path 'C:\\WINDOWS\Temp\pis_setup.msi' cannot be found..." I searched the computer and that file isn't on the disk.

5. rebeccar

rebeccar Bit poster

Same Problem

I'm having the same issue, I also contacted tech support at Kas....they were of no help, I have uninstalled and reinstalled Kas to no avail.....I'm running snow leopard, my VM is windows xp

6. toddn

toddn Bit poster

problems installing "Parallels Internet Security powered by Kapersky" in Parallels 5

I also have a similar problem. I been running Parallels 4 for the past two years and recently upgraded to Snow Leopard 10.6.1. And last week i bought the Parallels 4 to 5 upgrade (Build 5.0.9220, revision 531002, Nov 2, 2009). When i bought Parallels 4 two yrs ago, it came with a free year of "Parallels Internet Security powered by Kapersky" that was valid for one year. When it expired last year, i didn't renew it. So when i got the recent email about the upgrade i noticed that it came with the same "Parallels Internet Security powered by Kapersky" free for one year. Parallels installation went fine, but i'm having problems with installing "Parallels Internet Security powered by Kapersky".

I've got Parallels running Windows XP Service Pack 3, and each time i run the installation for Kapersky it gets nearly to completion but then i get an error message that reads:
    "Error 1921: Service Parallels Internet Security (AVP) could not be stopped. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to stop system services."

How can i get past this so the security suite can run properly?

7. VictoriaP

VictoriaP Bit poster

problems installing "Parallels Internet Security powered by Kapersky" in Parallels 5

Same problem here... fed up... took me an hour of poking around the site to figure out how to log an electronic trouble ticket only to be told to search forums for my issue BEFORE contacting them. Earlier today, suffered countless 404 file not found errors on their support site trying to find a solution. Should have come here first... at least I'd know I'm not the only one in this same predicament.

I already tried the reinstall of Parallels Tools (which worked) and attempted to repair PIS (that failed), uninstall PIS (that failed) and do a straight install (from the Parallels Virtual Machine menu) of PIS. I'm also getting the error 1921 (don't have enough privs to stop Parallels Internet Security (AVP) service AND an Error 1316 (failure to find C:\\WINDOWS\Installer\pis_setup.msi) when trying to uninstall or reinstall (think both) PIS.

8. Anupama A

Anupama A Pro

Hello,

Please follow the steps below:

1. In Virtual Machine uninstall Parallels Internet Security from Add/Remove Program.
    2. Select Uninstall, Complete Uninstall.
    3. Reboot guest OS.
    4. In Virtual Machine uninstall Parallels Tools from Add/Remove Program.
    5. Select Uninstall, Complete Uninstall.
    6. Reboot guest OS.
    7. Install Parallels Tools from Parallels Desktop Menu - Virtual Machine -> Install Parallels Tools.
    8. Install Parallels Internet Security from Parallels Desktop Menu - Virtual Machine -> Install Parallels Internet Security.
    9. Reboot guest OS.

9. TucsonTom

TucsonTom Member

I was able to make Kaspersky work by following this suggestion for Parallels tech support for uninstalling Kaspersky, then reinstalling:
    Download Windows Installer clean up utility from the link provided below:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9/d/e9d80355-7ab4-45b8-80e8-983a48d5e1bd/msicuu2.exe

Double-click the file to install the utility.

On the Windows taskbar, click Start > Programs > Windows Installer CleanUp Utility to run the utility.

Remove all entries for internet security.

10. Kevin Sheehan

Kevin Sheehan Junior Member

Here is what I did...

1. To figure out WHICH program Kaspersky was complaining about (for me) I downloaded a free trial of Kaspersky 2010. It told me it was upset by McAfee Site Adivisor.

2. I downloaded and ran the following McAfee Cleanup tool... http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

3. I rebooted and was then able to FINALLY install the new Parallels Internet Security from the menu.

Kevin

11. Kevin Sheehan

Kevin Sheehan Junior Member

I was able to get this to work by...

1. Downloading a demo of Kaspersky 2010 which told me the SPECIFIC package that was the problem (McAfee Security Advisor in my case)

2. Downloading and running this McAfee removal tool http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe and rebooting.

3. Parallels Internet Security FINALLY installed from the menus in my new 5.0 upgrade.

Kevin

12. rebeccar

rebeccar Bit poster

I upgraded to Kaspersky internet security 2010 and install went fine! Anti-File and Anti-Virus issue resolved! Now I can't activate or get internet access, I'm working with Kaspersky's support to resolve these last 2 nagging issues!

13. hmolen

hmolen Member

Can you tell me from what version (7 ??) to what version you upgraded (8 ??).
    I had a lot of problems with the oulook email plugin that the versnio 8 forced upon my outlook.
    Took me 15 reboots to fix it and it is still not working very well.
    eg. it detects virusses and trojans but it says that it is unable to quarantaine or delete them.
    However, I see no proof of these virusses.
    So, is Kasperky2010 the same as Kaspersky v8.0.0.506 (that I just upgraded to) ?

14. AlaskaDave

AlaskaDave Bit poster

Ditched Kaspersky

I got tired of trying to get this to work so uninstalled it and everything seems to be working fine. Turn out our business has Norton so installed that. My error messages have gone away and all is well. I did the steps above my removing the tools and reinstalling but that seemed to have no effect.

15. rebeccar

rebeccar Bit poster

Done With Kaspersky

I'm with Alaska Dave.......I unisntalled Kaspersky and went with AVG, Intersting.....No Issues! Kaspersky needs to work out some major flaws as it seems that no matter which version you had, there were issues! I don't get it!!!
    HMolen, I had version 7 in which I had the problems with anti-virus and anti-file, upgraded to version 8, and could not connect to the internet, then being bold.... I tried the latest build version Kasperskys 2010 and not only did I loose the abilty to connect to the internet, my K toolbar icon disappeared so I could not adjust settings, even tried going thru desktop, program files, etc...etc......After spending 2 weeks on forums, reinstalling, uninstalling...I give up......Good Bye
    Kasdpersky!!!!

16. AllanW

AllanW Junior Member

Security problem fixed in Desktop v5

The above worked just fine for me. Required a number of restarts, but was all straightforward. I could not find the Add/Remove option under Virtual Machine as suggested by A Anupama, but then, I'm not a rocket scientist.

You need to Virtual Machine>Install Internet Security after you remove the security stuff.

17. lisamacarch

lisamacarch Bit poster

Kaspersky problem after upgrade to Parallels 5 too

Just wanted to report that I just had the same problem - my windows installer tried to find something (for the first time since upgrading despite having used the machine several times - so I think it was the recent tools update that mucked up the works - my observation, not a rocket scientist here either.)
    couldn't find the .msi or .psi or whatever windows nonsense it wanted - and no, I can't browse to it. So, it sucked Kaspersky off my windows side entirely - poof.

Well, I will try the long routine above to uninstall this and re-install that, but I am not a happy camper. Upgrading was supposed to make things better.....

incidentally - windows has never liked Kaspersky or acknowledged that it is, in fact, working anti-virus software (hmmmm) though that didn't bother me as long as Kaspersky was working.

AND - I am now getting messages that I don't have enough memory EVERY SINGLE TIME I START MY WINDOWS.

This is almost as bad as the old days when I had to work on a Windows machine - please, bring back the mac ease with which this stuff worked before!

18. AllanW

AllanW Junior Member

Encouragement

Just to followup on my previous success. It did not take long and was quite straightforward. I have had zero trouble since then, so there is hope for you!

19. brinypickle

brinypickle Bit poster

Error: Your license key is invalid

Having all the same problems as above, and followed all the remedies described above. Now, I get the message that my Kaspersky license key is invalid after re-installing Parallels and Kaspersky.

Running Windows XP VM on Mac Snow Leopard. Everything was fine until I "upgraded" to the latest Parallels.

What gives?

20. VictoriaP

VictoriaP Bit poster

Kaspersky problems with Parallels/XP on Snow Leopard

For brinypickle and any other posters with these same problems... the ONLY thing that worked for me was spending 1-1/2 hour on the phone with a support engineer connected to my VM ... I'm a reasonably competent Windows user (although not my favorite environment) and faithfully followed all recommendations in this forum before throwing in the towel and working with a support engineer to resolve the issue.

Sorry that I could not begin to tell you the order in which he did things to my 'machine' nor can I tell you how many reboots were involved... but things are working fine now. (should NOT have been so hard)