First little problem with Parallels 5

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Tom Collignon, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Tom Collignon

Tom Collignon Member

First of all I was very impressed with the support for Ubuntu 9.10. Parallels tools installed automaticaly and actualy worked (Unlike in the previous versions of parallels).

OpenGl support works great (desktop effects, playing video's, ...)

But there is a problem with sound

If there is playing sound then you hear like little pops in the sound. Like little echos.

Is there a way for correcting this?

If this is fixed then Parallels 5 works perfectly for linux and windows and that is the first for me.

2. Sean Manning

Sean Manning Bit poster

Same thing here. Login sound for 9.10 is all jerky sounding.

3. FrancoisR

FrancoisR Bit poster

+1
    but I also second the praise on Parallels 5. I find it an excellent upgrade compare to previous version, and the openGL support for linux is most welcome.

4. Tom Collignon

Tom Collignon Member

Can no-one help?
    Tips for fixing sound in PD5?

5. fmoda3

fmoda3 Bit poster

Pulse Audio

On Fedora 11, I found that opening /etc/pulse/default.pa and editing:
    load-module module-hal-detect
    to:
    load-module module-hal-detect tsched=0
    and restarting, vastly improved the choppy sound (if not removed the problem all together).

I tried it on Ubuntu 9.10, replacing:
    load-module module-udev-detect
    to:
    load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0
    and restarted, and I got the same improvement.

Both systems startup noises now sound normal to me, and it fixed some popping noises I had in flash movies like youtube.

Basically what this is doing, is disabling the time scheduling of pulse audio, and having it revert to interrupt driven audio.

6. Tom Collignon

Tom Collignon Member

Problem solved

Thanks very much

7. FrancoisR

FrancoisR Bit poster

I confirm this works for me too on a karmic guest. Thanks for the tip.

8. mattyparanoid

mattyparanoid Bit poster

Fix not working for me, please look over my work and see if I am making an error

I have been trying to install Ubuntu 9.10 in Parallels 5 and I am experiencing the sound issue described in the original post. I attempted the fix from post regarding Fedora but cannot get good results. I could be doing something wrong, or perhaps something else is preventing me from success.

The pertinent part of default.pa as opened from the terminal with sudo gedit /etc/pulse/default.pa:

### Automatically load driver modules depending on the hardware available
    .ifexists module-udev-detect.so
    .else
    ### Alternatively use the static hardware detection module (for systems that
    ### lack udev support)
    load-module module-detect
    .endif

I have tried appending the line:
    To:
    load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0
    and have successfully saved the file. On reboot I got extremely long pulsed audio as if the audio were a skipping cd that never ended. I had to shut down. Restored file and audio went back to the stuttering that was the problem to begin with...

Suggestions?

9. skovner

skovner Bit poster

Really bad problems with Fedora 11

I absolutely cannot get Fedora 11 installed.
    I tried an upgrade from a Parallels 4 image; it hung on reboot after parallels tools installation and the image was not bootable any more.
    I tried a reinstall, and eventually it hangs and won't boot.
    One install ran for a while, went to a small window, and that was it.

And even when I was using the older version, about the time the power management or screensaver would kick in, the screen would never recover; it would stay black.
    I can't say that Parallels 4 or 5 works with Fedora 11. And I had reinstalled 11 because I couldn't get Parallels 4's tools to work in Fedora 9.
    I might try ubuntu now.

And is there a way to manually control the packages, and get it to download the latest instead of using the DVD image?