Linux Guest Parallels Tools under OpenSuse 11.2

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by KaiW, Nov 13, 2009.

1. KaiW

KaiW Bit poster

Hello,
    i have Parallels Desktop 5 whith a Linux Guest OpenSuse 11.2.

kernel source, kernel header, gcc and make are already installed.

The install-Routine "Paralles Tools 5.0 Installer" breakt with:
    An error occurred when downloadin required components
    for Parallels Tools installation.
    - kernel sources
    install these components and try again.

...the kernel sources are installed!?!

The Guest:
    OpenSuse 11.2 (x86_64)
    Linux 2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop x86_64

Thanks a lot

2. ksenks

ksenks Parallels Developers

Possible you have installed kernel source from differ version that your booting kernel.
    Please do in console 'uname -r' and 'rpm -qa | grep kernel' and compare versions of installed kernel sources and booting kernel.

3. MapuM

MapuM Bit poster

same problem

Me too, I had problems with tools installation under opensuse 11.2 guest.
    Checked the kernel-source version, it's the same as the one returned by uname -r
    Did someone succeed in doing the installation?

4. VolkerF

VolkerF Bit poster

Possible solution

Hi,

I had the same problem.

What I did:

1. Clean install of OpenSuSe 11.2
    2. At the installation settings screen chose Software. Install the following groups:
    - Base Development
    - Linux Kernel Development
    3. Finish installation
    4. Mount Parellels Tools ISO with option "-o exec"
    5. Install the tools
    6. Enjoy!

Volker

5. MapuM

MapuM Bit poster

Problem solved:
    I just needed to install kernel-desktop(or your kernel type)-devel via "install software"
    Bye

6. KaiW

KaiW Bit poster

Thank you!
    After the inst. kernel-desktop-devil, the inst. of the Tools runs normal...

7. AmarS

AmarS Bit poster

KWin Crashes with Parallels Tools 5 (a little off topic)

Hi!

I have Parallels Desktop 5 with an openSUSE 11.2 x86_64 guest. Before installing Parallels Tools I figured out which packages were needed (it would have helped if I had seen this thread earlier) and installed them as required.

However, after installation of Parallels Tools I found that KWin kept crashing with a segmentation fault. Having looked through the trace of the error, I manage to narrow down the problem to the libGL.so and libglx.so replacements provided by the Parallels Tools installer. I wrote the below script to revert the libraries to the original versions and just thought I would post it here in case anyone else has the same problems:

This copies the original libraries back to their original locations and changes the relevant symlinks to point to the original libraries. It keeps all of the Parallels libraries in case this works again later. Please note that this is relevant to my installation but I suspect it should be the same for a plain openSUSE 11.2 x86_64 installation with KDE (the kind that seems to have caused this problem).

I just thought I would also point this out so this could perhaps be fixed. The problem is (courtesy of snapshots):

I hope this helps!

Virtual Machine:

openSUSE 11.2
    Linux <hostname> 2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2009-10-26 15:49:03 +0100 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux ('uname -a' after installation of Parallels Tools)
    4 processors
    2GB RAM
    64MB Video Memory

Host System:

Mac Pro Early 2008, Snow Leopard 10.6.1 (I will upgrade to 10.6.2 and test I suppose), 8GB RAM, 8 cores, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB

N.B. If this post is deemed to be in the wrong place, please do move it as appropriate. Thank you.

8. serv

serv Forum Maven

As I said in another thread, this may happen on xorg 1.6.5. As a temporary workaround you can try switching from KWin to Metacity. We're working on a fix.

9. AmarS

AmarS Bit poster

Aarrgghh! Metacity! No!

Thank you for your response. It seems that for the moment my little script will also work around the problem (though perhaps sacrificing some graphical strength) as I would prefer to remove Parallels Desktop entirely than to use Metacity ( *shudder* ).

It is nice to hear that you are working on a solution and I hope to see this soon.

Thank you again.

10. mward

mward Bit poster

Can't get Full Screen mode to work after installing Tools

After installing the Tools and rebooting into the Gnome desktop, full screen mode doesn't work. The OS display size remains small and does not increase to fill the screen, it is centered with lots of black around it. I need it to bump up to 2560 x 1440 and fill a 27" screen. There is no option for this in the Display settings of the guest OS.

Please let me know if anyone knows how to make this happen, thanks.

11. serv

serv Forum Maven

mward,

Check the amount of video memory in VM configuration and set it to at least 32Mb.

12. mward

mward Bit poster

That solved the problem, thank you.

13. nailerr

nailerr Bit poster

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

14. Marcelino Guel

Marcelino Guel Bit poster

I figured it out, please disregard.

15. WimDS

WimDS Hunter

That solved the problem for me 2, thx!