Aero won't work in WIndows 7 after p5 install

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by barneythedog, Nov 13, 2009.

1. barneythedog

barneythedog Bit poster

I was running the beta 5 (sept version) and Windows 7 Aero worked fine. Today, I installed the upgrade retail Parallels desktop 5 and now Aero won't work!. The Windows 7 troubleshooter said the graphics card in not compatible, butit is. It worked with the beta. Installed and reinstalled Parallels tools. Still doesn't work.

MacbookPro
    3D is checked in Parallels configuration. What is going on?
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT:

Chipset Model: GeForce 8600M GT
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x1
    VRAM (Total): 256 MB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0407
    Revision ID: 0x00a1
    ROM Revision: 3212

2. barneythedog

barneythedog Bit poster

I forgot to add that I am on Snow Leopard 10.6.1

3. serv

serv Forum Maven

barneythedog,

Try updating Windows Experience Index via Control Panel -> Performance.
    Or just refresh Aero related score: Start button -> Run -> type in "winsat dwm" without quotes.

Also, check that "Parallels Display Adapter (WDDM)" is present in Device Manager (Start -> Run -> devmgmt.msc) under Displays and it's not disabled.

4. BernardP

BernardP Bit poster

Aero effects and Windows Experience failed for me too

I have been getting frustrated since upgrading to parallels Desktop 5, because the Aero effects which initially worked stopped ("a WDDM compatible driver may be available - contact the hardware manufacturer"), and Windows Experience kept failing reporting "hardware incompatibility" or something like that. I reinstalled Parallels 5 and tools, restarted everything, but had no idea what was going on.

Today I discovered the display settings in Windows had somehow reverted to 16 bit rather than 32 bit, and things are working again now I have corrected this!

osx 10.6.2, macbook Pro 13.1 inch 2.53 GhZ . Parallels Desktop 5, Windows 7 Home Premium

5. barneythedog

barneythedog Bit poster

Serv, your suggestion worked!

Updating the Windows Experience Index worked. The new score is 3.9. Windows magically turned on Aero as soon as the updating (which took a while) finished. Thank you!