Mac OSX Win XP won't boot--Code 5??

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by criscusack, Apr 20, 2006.

1. criscusack

criscusack Bit poster

Hello,

I created a VM and tried to boot it up, but all I get is a DOS-sy looking prompt that sasys CDBOOT: Cannto boot from CD - Code: 5.

I have increased the VM's memory (on my 20"iMac) to 768 Mb, with no change in result.

Help?

Thanks,

--Cris

2. criscusack

criscusack Bit poster

Sorry, there's more. I should point out that this is the exact same Windows XP SP2 disc I used to install XP successfully using Boot Camp, and that it comes up as an option (the disc itself) when I start my Mac w/the option key held.

Thanks again.

3. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Try to make ISO from your CD and boot from ISO.

4. rthelen

rthelen Bit poster

OK, so with a Windows XP full install (not an upgrade version) I did the following:

Code:
    $ hdiutil makehybrid -iso -o winxp.iso /Volumes/VRMHFPP_EN
    Creating hybrid image...
    ................................................................................

$ 

Then I changed the CD to use an image file and the results I get (with beta 4) is the BIOS start up screen with the memory size displayed, nothing more printed, and the CPU pegged at 100%.

By the way, I can mount the .iso on Mac OS X by double clicking it.

Where did I go wrong?

5. criscusack

criscusack Bit poster

No dice.

Also, what, if anything, is the support policy? I wrote in to support@parallels.com days ago, and I've gotten no response other than an automated message saying my message was received. I was, however, heartened to see that the marketing messages (as for VM Compactor) are going out promptly. I responded to that asking when my support issue was going to be addressed, and STILL no response. VM compactor does me no good if I can't use the product, now does it???

I would REALLY appreciate some help here. So far (and it could be my fault) the product is non-functional for me.