is using 'Stop' safe?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ChristopherB, Nov 12, 2009.

1. ChristopherB

ChristopherB Member

So when in Crystal mode and you chose to Quit, you are presented with 2 options. Suspend or Stop.

Is choosing stop the same as hitting the power switch on a real PC? Because it shuts down very fast.

Please advise.

2. wonder_mice

wonder_mice Hunter

Yes, Stop is the same as "Power Off" button for real PC.

3. Statman

Statman Member

and this is a good idea..I think not.

4. GlynD

GlynD Junior Member

What's the problem? It is the same dialog box that you get when trying to quit Parallels in any mode. Just like the power button on a PC, useful if Windows stops responding.

The correct way to shutdown from Crystal (again like any other mode) is to use the Windows Start button - from the menu or by right-clicking the Mac menu bar icon.

5. ChristopherB

ChristopherB Member

Windows defaults to "Delayed Writes" for disk caching. So you may lose your data or other mayhem then? Thisis a very bad idea then.

6. GlynD

GlynD Junior Member

So what do you do if Windows stops responding and everything freezes? You need a mechanism to close the system without affecting anything else.

The only alternatives are to close Parallels - same effect but could affect other VM systems - or power down your Mac, even more risky.

So long as you understand the warnings, the stop command is a useful option to have.

7. ChristopherB

ChristopherB Member

If you read my original post - in the Crystal menu you are only presented with Suspend or Stop. No debating Stop is useful. Questioning whether or not it should be presented as an option for closing the session next to Suspend and no other options.

8. GlynD

GlynD Junior Member

Yes, I read your post. The Crystal menu has options for Stop, Suspend or Windows Start Menu. I agree that it is not obvious that to shut down you have to choose the start menu, but that's the Windows way of doing things!