Blackberry & 3120

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by rossf, Jan 13, 2007.

1. rossf

rossf Junior Member

Bkackberry Pearl working fine with Blackberry Deasktop in 3094
    Under 3120 I am getting the "USB unavailable" message - long time since I had that!!!

Anyone point me to 3094 download? I'll try going backwards so as to go forwards....

Parallels still rocks!!!

2. titetanium

titetanium Member

You got the blackberry DM working in Parallels? That is news indeed! Care to make a mini howto to explain how you pulled that off?

Until they have native drivers for blackberry DM functionality in Linux, I could get by with that.

3. bdwilso2

bdwilso2 Junior Member

I'm having issues trying to get my 8700 to tether as a modem. I was able to query the modem only once, then after I tried setting up Internet Connection Sharing (so my Mac could use the network on the VM), it didn't work. I've reinstalled the VM several times and duplicated my setup without sharing, but have been unable to get things to work again.

I did get it to work once, and even got internet access to work. I haven't tried any versions accept 3120, so I'm afraid I can't comment on earlier versions.

4. Souken C.Ingram

Souken C.Ingram Member

I had BlackBerry Desktop Manager partially working with 1970, but USB issues made it too unreliable to be practical. It works perfectly with 3120 for me, though. You may want to try disabling the card access mode on the Perl, since OS X will try and mount the Perl otherwise. I didn't need to take any special action myself.

bdwilso2, I have to ask why you are attempting to use an 8700 as a modem in Windows. My Perl works fairly well as a modem over Bluetooh directly with OS X.

5. steve

steve Member

Souken,

The 8700 does not support a modem over bluetooth.

Interestingly, there is a guy working on a software module to work over bluetooth on the 8700. The company is brainmurmers.com. However, the sofware isn't all that reliable. If you only need an internet connection for a few minutes, it will do. But if you need it to be stable for hours, it has problems and hangs up regularly.

Steve

6. Souken C.Ingram

Souken C.Ingram Member

7. steve

steve Member

Yeah, he charges for it but you can download a trail and use it 10 times. I did and it works. But I had problems keeping the internet connection alive and it would regularly quit on me. I used up all my "trial" credits and gave up.

Steve

8. Souken C.Ingram

Souken C.Ingram Member

As far as the connection goes, I have the same issue with my Perl. There is a very short inactivity timeout, which can be avoided by streaming data constantly. Not ideal, but that is just the way it goes.

Regarding doing this with ICS, did you give Windows a static IP address and modify the routing table on OS X? An easier option would be to use PPTP do connect from OS X to Windows, and then use that to access the outside world. Then you wouldn't need to edit your routes by hand.

9. bdwilso2

bdwilso2 Junior Member

I am aware of this software and have tried it. I am not willing to pay for it since this is something I will rarely use. The software also requires a proxy, which seems a bit off the mark for me. I'll go back to trying to get it to work in Parallels...

10. rossf

rossf Junior Member

So I managed to get back to Beta 3036 and Blackberry desktop is working again!!
    2 things - I get the "unable to connect, try again..." message. Close that and it connects anyway. Believe it or not I also found that having Pocketmac kext files installed was nessecary to make all this work. No Pocketmac files, no Desktop Manager action...don't ask me why..!!??