USB Issues with 3120

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by silver25u, Jan 12, 2007.

1. silver25u

silver25u Bit poster

Hi all, I'm fairly new to Parallels still trying to get the best setup. I used the previous beta version with no usb issues, but since upgrading to build 3120 I'm unable to load usb drives in Windows. I have auto connect on but it doesn't seem to be working. I have two different generic usb mass storage hard drives. They both appear in Mac OS X, in the VM I use the devices menu to select usb -> "ultraHDD". It disappears from Mac OS X, the new device sound for windows plays, but then nothing appears. I checked device manager and it doesn't see it neither does disk management

Anyone have any suggestons?

2. Liong612

Liong612 Junior Member

Almost the problem with me (Sony HD5 and sonicstage)

I got a new device icon appears when i connected my Sony HD5 mp3 player onto my windows 2000. However, i can't do anything about it. The folder appears empty (there should have been some files) AND SONICSTAGE JUST REFUSED TO SEE IT.

It worked fine with the previous beta 3106. So, now i have no choice but go back in time.

I hope Parallels fix this problem though. I paid for it and i don't plan to use the beta version forever.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  3. metz36

metz36 Bit poster

Sony Network walkman NW-S706

I thought I'd add my experience to this thread as well. Back when Parallels was in the stable 1970 build, it had no support for USB 2.0 devices, so my sony walkman didn't function properly. I was kinda bummed because it was my main reason for purchasing the software. But my hopes were restored when the beta releases started coming out...things were working as promised!

With the new release candidate though, my mp3 player isn't recognised in the same way anymore. Instead of an autoplay window popping up like before (which showed windows scanning the folders of the device)...I now only hear the generic windows connected device sound. I can see the device on the 'my computer' screen, but it's totally empty and sonicstage doesn't see it at all anymore.

I'd go back to 3106 build which was the last time it worked fine for me, but I don't have that anymore. And I can't find it anywhere. :-(

I've uninstalled and reinstalled build 3120 just to check I did something wrong, without any luck. I'm hoping it's just a glitch in this release and I get back the functionality in the next build. Fingers crossed!

4. Liong612

Liong612 Junior Member

Listen up to all USB device user out there !

I was playing with parallels this morning and reinstalled 3120 that i knew it would not recognize my Sony HD5. Somehow i was tempted to reinstall the Sony USB driver and see what happen.

Guess what !! It works like a charm. I even feel that parallels actually snappier to handle the music in my HD5.

I am guessing that this will also fix a lot of problem with USB device out there.

I do not think that this is a parallels problem. Windows do not always reconfigure your OS device driver automatically after you change the hardware (in this case upgrading parallels).

I have to admit that Parallels team work very hard to make all the upgrade. However, VM technology needs more than basic skill about OS and computer in order for the customer to have flawless experience. Thank you Parallels.

CONCLUSION: IF YOUR USB DEVICE DOES NOT WORK AFTER YOU UPGRADE, TRY TO REINSTALL THE USB DRIVER FROM DEVICE MANAGER IN 'MY COMPUTER' PROPERTIES.

5. drval

drval Pro

Yes, VM technology is really wonderful; however, it builds on top of both the host and guest OSes involved. Windows can be quite challenging to work with at times because of how "driver-driven" it is -- if the right drivers are not installed, very "interesting" results can occur. IME reinstalling USB-related drivers frequently resolves many such similar situations in the "standard" Windows environment so it makes sense to try it here, when USB-related problems occur.

6. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

Just to be consistent with what the last two guys posted, try uninstalling these devices in Bootcamp natively if that's where they were initially installed, and then install them from within the VM, where the Parallels Tools config might have something to do with their functionality. I'm not sure how using different hardware profiles work, but it seems like when you install something for XP natively, it might not install to work properly with Tools installed in the VM.

Make sense?

7. GeezerGeek

GeezerGeek Bit poster

Same issue with all USB storage devices

When external USB drives are connected, either automatically or manually, to an XP VM I get the connection sound, but the drive never gets a letter and it cannot be accessed. Device Manager shows no errors. This worked in the previous build.

8. drussell

drussell Bit poster

Agreed! I think it could be some side effect, while Parallels tried to fix the USB2.0 problem or iSight things.

My external 2.5inch USB2.0 HDD works perfectly with all previous versions (Beta 3-3106 and before). It was broken after upgrading to RC1 (3120).

Then I have done a new install based on RC1, problem persists.

I can hear the connected sound, then the VM (XPPro) hangs. no response at all. Cant even click on anything. Strangely, the HDD shows in OSX instead. It never happens in any of previous build.

I am staying with Beta 3 now. It looks like more stable.

BTW, if you work with USB alot, like iSight or PDA, use Fusion. But it is much noisier compare to Parallels, due to high CPU utilization.

My config is MBP C2D 2.33 160GB HDD 2G RAM.

9. metz36

metz36 Bit poster

Sony NW-S706 reinstalling drivers

I've given it a try with my setup that uses a Sony NW-S706F but didn't have any success. I guess you got lucky with the driver reinstall! :)

It's strangely comforting knowing that many other folks are having the same problem though, because it means Parallels is more likely to recognize that something's up and it'll get fixed in the next round.

Thanks very much for your suggestion though.

10. Liong612

Liong612 Junior Member

I wonder how you re-install the your Sony NW driver. From my experience, sometimes setup prorgrams do not always update driver correctly if it sees that the driver 'name' is already there.
    That is why i recommend you to manually re-install driver in my computer - device manager - USB properties (not by re-installing sonicstage).

Let me know if you still have problem. I would assume Sony NW S706 and NW HD5 won't be that much different (driver wise).

11. SteveDemy

SteveDemy Member

USB U/S in 3120

1) Plug in a USB compact flash reader - connect sound
    2) Plug in a card - disk appears on OSX, not in VM
    3) Eject card in OSX and remove it
    4) Unplug compact flash reader - disconnect sound, spinning beachball, 100% CPU, fans spool up - force quit of Parallels required.

Macbook Pro C2D. I tried the obvious - restarting both systems, removing then re-installing Parallels Tools, looking for wayward settings.

This functioned perfectly in 3106. In prior builds it worked after removing competing kernel extension files in OS X. In 3120 it is U/S (unserviceable). Tested on 2 card readers of different brand. Identical result.

Excellent software otherwise and I expect this will be fixed soon.

12. Liong612

Liong612 Junior Member

Still aparent problem

Today i realized that my Windows 2000 did not recognized my HD5 again. I have to keep re-installing USB drive to make it work. Everytime.

I go back with 3106 for now. I am very sure parallels team are working the fix.

13. randstar

randstar Bit poster

USB issues with Parallels/WindowsXP and Intel MAC

I am having the same problem. Parallels and WindowsXP loaded on my Intel MAC well, and work fine, however in windows none of my USB ports are recognized.

Any help out there on this? I am not real computer saavy (which is why i love my MAC), so hopefully the fix is not too involved. I assume that i need some device drivers?

Randstar

14. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

Randstar,
    Since you're posting within this thread, I'm assuming you tried the suggestions that have been offered. What happened after you did so?

I would be interested to see one of you folks, who are having problems, do a re-install of Windows, and immediately upon setup rebooting to go into the OS for the first time (you know, after the setup process has reached 100% and the computer restarts to go into the OS), press F8 and go into Windows via Safe Mode. From there, run the Parallels Tools installation, and then restart the computer -- thus getting the system to assign the Tools drivers before it assigns ones available from the Windows setup disc.

It's just a thought, but from my own experience with Bootcamp USB quirks with Parallels, a similar process is needed for me to use the VM as it is touted to be used.

15. randstar

randstar Bit poster

thanks for the response. I have build 1970 and i note in a message above in this thread from Metz34 that 1970 has no support for USB2.0??!!?? Do i need an update? When i go to device manager is says that the USB ports are functioning normally, and the drivers listed are Microsoft from 2001. Yet the USB ports on my IMAC by the info are Apple USBUHCL. Its clear to me that my WindowsXP in VM is not seeing my USB ports. If i uninstall the drivers thru the device manager, to reinstall with what?

Randstar

16. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

Randstar, what USB device do you want to hook up? I have a USB 2.0 hard drive enclosure that has worked from day 1 with Parallels Desktop, regardless of the version. Some devices aren't working, so I guess it depends on what you're trying to use with Parallels on the USB issue.

With all the versions and incremental features being implemented with each release, I'm finding it a bit vapid to try to carry discussions in here. In my book, you should be trying the latest version, and that's the RC release. In any case, I think it's important to tell us what version you are trying things on the first you post. Usually I make it a point not to respond to folks that are using 1970, since it is doesn't have the latest features that these newer BETAs and RC have. I really should know better, but it just slips my mind.

Anyway, I'm sorry for misleading you about what you can do. I am using the BETAs as they come out, and though I don't use the VM a whole lot, when I do, everything works just fine for what I need or want to do. I had problems with the mouse and video drivers, but from participating here in these discussions I have found the remedy. So I guess good luck and stick around.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  17. ircoha

ircoha Bit poster

Am a newbie to this so please excuse the level of ignorance.

I am confused re how 3120 RC fits in with my current version of //'s for mac which is build 1970

I found this post searching for help as i cant use a usb in an XP vm on my mac.

I cant see the usb drive when in XP

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  18. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

Configure it as a shared folder under the Parallels Configuration screen.

ajm

19. randstar

randstar Bit poster

I had the autoconnection set to off. with it on, it recognizes my USB hard drive storage (Firelite).
    But it doesn't run at USB 2 speed.

I bought the software from compUSA. IF i go to the manufacturers website to download a version they also list build 1970 (nov. 2006). So these beta versions or other, that you mention, do i upgrade to them? or did i miss the boat by buying this version? Why would the Parallels be selling this version on their website?

Thanks, Randstar

20. drval

drval Pro

My understanding is that while there is USB support in build 1970 it's not USB 2 but USB 1.1.

If you choose to download the 3120 RC1 -- or any other "beta" version -- you should be able to use the same key or to get another one from Parallels without any problem. That is the path that I took originally.