Parallels Workstation 4 Extreme Build 6698 is available!

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation Extreme Discussion' started by tacit_one, Nov 16, 2009.

1. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

Dear Users,

Parallels Workstation Extreme build 6698 includes changes that improve performance and enhance compatibility.
    This update is highly recommended for all users of Parallels Workstation Extreme.

Updates for Parallels Workstation Extreme are available via:

- Parallels Workstation 4 Extreme in-product updater
    - Parallels Workstation 4 Extreme download page - http://www.parallels.com/products/extreme/

What is included in this update:

- On Windows host computers, Coherence view mode is now available for Windows virtual machines that use emulated graphics. In Coherence, the virtual machine's desktop is hidden, leaving only application windows visible on the host computer's desktop.
    - Physical hard drives can now be used in virtual machines (supported experimentally).
    - Generic PCIe devices now can be directly assigned to virtual machines (supported experimentally).
    - Enhanced handling of USB devices: all connected USB devices now have unique names that help you easily identify them in multi-user scenarios.
    - Improved user interface performance and responsiveness.
    - General virtualization engine improvements.
    - Parallels Shared Folders shortcut available for only one user in Linux guest OSs - fixed.
    - Wrong behavior of non-US keyboard layouts - fixed.
    - Problems with keyboard/mouse with HP RGS sender installed - fixed.
    - Accidental problems with mouse after assigning physical graphics cards to virtual machines - fixed.
    - Virtual machines may work not correctly after resuming the host computer from the S3 Sleep mode - fixed.
    - Attempts to suspend RHEL 4.7 virtual machines that don't have the pm-utils package installed may be unsuccessful - fixed.
    - Problems with creating split virtual disks greater than 1.8 TB - fixed.

These and a number of other issues were resolved in Parallels Workstation 4 Extreme.

More information:

http://kb.parallels.com/6914

Regards,
    Max

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  2. ThomasT

ThomasT Member

Thanks!

:)
    Finally it seems as if someone would have recognized the problems that have been reported in this part of the forum.

I'll test the update and report back as soon as possible.

Thanks! This will certainly improve the result of the review that I am writing.

-------------

Update:
    Well done! All reported problems have been fixed!

Nevertheless I have a new strange keyboard-focus loss in the following condition:

Running VMs:
    - First running VM: Vista SP1 x64 with dedicated graphics card and monitor
    - Second running VM: Windows XP Pro SP3, all updates installed, in windowed Mode (no dedicated grafics board!)
    - Host: Server 2008 R2 Standard (all updates installed)
    All operating systems are the german versions.

New "bugs", reproducable:
    1. Using Windows XP in the VM, view mode: window, write some text.
    2. Leave this VM with the mouse and enter the VM on the second Monitor (Vista)
    3. Move the mouse back to the first VM and try to type.

After following these three steps no keystroke is recognized in the VM but mouse-clicks are still recognized! Even most special keys like "ALT" have absolutely no effect. Pressing the "Win" key causes the start-menu of the HOST to rise.
    Solution: I have to click with the mouse cursor somewhere on the desktop of the Host and after that I have to click somewhere inside the VM-Window (WinXP) to continue writing.

Mouse capturing works perfect but the keyboard focus is lost in the windowed VM.

The VM with the dedicated graphics works perfekt. No keyboard focus or mouse focus is lost under any testes condition.

Please forward this new issue to the developers, maybe they can take care about that issue as well. :)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  3. ThomasT

ThomasT Member

Update:
    Well done! All reported problems have been fixed!

Nevertheless I have a new strange keyboard-focus loss in the following condition:

Running VMs:
    - First running VM: Vista SP1 x64 with dedicated graphics card and monitor
    - Second running VM: Windows XP Pro SP3, all updates installed, in windowed Mode (no dedicated grafics board!)
    - Host: Server 2008 R2 Standard (all updates installed)
    All operating systems are the german versions.

New "bugs", reproducable:
    1. Using Windows XP in the VM, view mode: window, write some text.
    2. Leave this VM with the mouse and enter the VM on the second Monitor (Vista)
    3. Move the mouse back to the first VM and try to type.

After following these three steps no keystroke is recognized in the VM but mouse-clicks are still recognized! Even most special keys like "ALT" have absolutely no effect. Pressing the "Win" key causes the start-menu of the HOST to rise.
    Solution: I have to click with the mouse cursor somewhere on the desktop of the Host and after that I have to click somewhere inside the VM-Window (WinXP) to continue writing.

Mouse capturing works perfect but the keyboard focus is lost in the windowed VM.

The VM with the dedicated graphics works perfekt. No keyboard focus or mouse focus is lost under any testes condition.

Please forward this new issue to the developers, maybe they can take care about that issue as well. :)