help upgrading from vista to windows 7 with parallels 5.0

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by jlbrach, Nov 17, 2009.

1. jlbrach

jlbrach Member

I am currently running vista with parallels 5.0 on my macbook pro with 4gb of ram...i want to download the windows 7 upgrade from microsoft but i am not sure if there is anything special i need to do?..if i download 7 will it simply load over vista without incident and equally as important will there be any complications using parallels 5.0...will i have to change any setings or do anything different or will it just open as windows 7 when i start up parallels after the download?...any help would be very much appreciated!

2. Macaby

Macaby Member

I think it would be better to install Windows 7 in it's own VM and after you are satisfied with the operation, just deleted the Vista VM and that wipes the whole Vista system. That's the route I took and it went very smoothly. After Windows 7 installed, running Windows Update found ALL the correct drivers. I'm very happy with the Win 7 operation. Best Windows I've ever seen (starting with Windows 95, etc).

3. Anupama A

Anupama A Pro

4. jlbrach

jlbrach Member

so in other words it would be easier to purchase the physical windows 7 upgrade disc and then open vista and install it over vista?i hope i am understanding this properly?if so i will simply purchase the physical disc and do the upgrade that way...

5. StarShot

StarShot Member

I would go with the "clean" install. You can do it with a Upgrade disk.