distorted sound with external usb-soundcard

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by PatrikL, Oct 21, 2009.

1. PatrikL

PatrikL Bit poster

Hi. when i use my external USB soundcard (Presonus Audiobox) in xp the sound gets distorted with clicks and pops. Even when there is no sound playing there is static. The soundcard installs ok (so far that i can se). The soundcard works fine in mac osx and with a windows computer. Please help me becouse I only bought my computer and software for this purpose. Thanks in advance

Product Version: 4.0
    Computer Type: MacBook Pro
    Build Number: Other... 4.0.3846
    Amount of memory: 2-4GB
    Host OS: Mac OS X 10.5.x Leopard
    Guest OS: Windows XP Professional
    Guest OS type: 32-bit
    Number of CPUs in Virtual machine: 2

2. Peter Linsener

Peter Linsener Junior Member

same here ...

no solution, sorry. Just a confirmation. I use a Edirol UA 101 and experience the same probelms. It happend in Parallels 4 and after upgrading to Parallels 5 it unfortunately got eve worse, more crackle and now it even sometimes completely crashes the virtual machine.
    I thought Parallels 5 was expected to have better USB performance, but for me so far nothing has improved.
    I'm really interested in working this out too and If someone has some ideas I will happily spend time on this!

3. Alexander Haltman

Alexander Haltman Parallels Developers

Hi, PatrikL. Please, pdate your PD 4.0.3846 to 4.0.3848 and try again.

4. GarethS

GarethS Bit poster

Hi, I have the same issue even having updated to v5 PD (running WinXP SP3), using M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB interface.

5. Airw0lfBen

Airw0lfBen Bit poster

I had the same problem since Parallels 4. Unusable!
    I tried every single update of Parallels which was available and also I'm on Parallels 5 trial version and the same problem still occurs.

6. Alexander Haltman

Alexander Haltman Parallels Developers

Ok. We will check this with our QA team.

7. Peter Linsener

Peter Linsener Junior Member

Thank you Alex, getting this to work would be a major plus for me and other users of USB Audio! Feel free to contact me if I should try/test something.

8. Dan Bartz

Dan Bartz Bit poster

Same here

This is huge for our company as it's holding back the deployment of our collaboration software as well as full adaptation of the Mac in our Environment..

9. Parallelo

Parallelo Guest

I have traveled the globe looking for ways to run a hi-fi sound and home theater from a Mac. My last hope was Parallels. Unfortunately, I found this forum thread because I too have become a victim of limited/distorted audio quality through Parallels when using an external USB sound card. The problem is that most mainstream external sound cards don't support Mac. This would be a huge boon if if the problem could be solved. I can't understand why it distorts the sound if Windows is using the USB sound card as its sound device. I've tested the same card on other computer systems without the distortion, so this leads to believe it has something to do with Parallels. Any updates?

10. lyew

lyew Bit poster

Me too

Yes, I'd like to confirm this is a problem for me too. I'm using PD 7 and Windows XP on my Mac Pro. I have an 27" Apple LED display, and the display uses the USB port for the sound source. Sound works when I'm on native Mac OS X applications. But is terribly distorted when it goes through Windows XP.