virtual machine upgrade hanging

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Des Hymers, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Des Hymers

Des Hymers Bit poster

I recently upgraded to version 5 from version 3. While upgrading my virtual machine (windows xp) it hangs on step 2, "searching for new devices". I've read a KB article where it says this is normal, but it has been running for longer then 30 minutes like the articles suggests it could take.

Has this happened to anybody else? and is there any suggested method of getting past this issue?

Thank you in advance.

Also some more info about my environment. I was running OSX tiger, where I was running Version3, and had my virtual machine installed as well. I then upgraded to snow leopard, which is why I've upgraded to version 5 of parallels.

2. Anupama A

Anupama A Pro

Hello,

Please restart the Mac and try to upgrade again. If it stucks again in step 2 of 4 then press CTRL+Option+Command+R in the screen where the upgrade process hangs. Activate Windows Later. Install Parallel Tools from Virtual Machine -> Install Parallel Tools.

3. Adam Till

Adam Till Bit poster

I'm having the same problem described here, but the fix described doesn't work.

I started from OSX v 10.5.8, and Parallels 3, and attempted to upgrade to v5. The upgrade freezes on step 2 of 4 as described above, but when I interrupt this process manually, it forces windows into a boot/"Did not start successfully"/any option results in blue screen of death (attached).

I attempt to load the Parallels tools while it's looping,but nothing happens.

Help...please...
    Cheers

Attached Files:

4. extensivegroup

extensivegroup Member

The same thing happened to me after both step 2 and 4. I waited at least 45 minutes but the progress bar just halted. Eventually tried the cntl-alt-command-R "trick" and it progressed a bit but....

Now, I'm booting to a user called "_ParallelsHelper0". What is that? Where did my user files go?

Attempting to install Parallels Tools also is taking forever.

I haven't validated Windows.

Help very much appreciated.

5. extensivegroup

extensivegroup Member

This sucks, I've tried everything and it continues to hang. What the eff is up with that user account?!???

6. Adam Till

Adam Till Bit poster

FWIW - I tried again to install P5, and it finally worked.

I uninstalled 5, reinstalled 3, went into Windows and stripped out Online Armour in case it was getting in the way (though I don't think it was).

Installed P5 again, and got notification of an available update. Installed that. Got notifcation that a VGA adaptor wasn't available, but it wasn't on my Windows discs, and internet wasn't available in Windows at the time.

Got to the same spot where it normally stalled out (Step 2 of 4), and switched to manual mode as I had done before. Instead of BSOD loops this time, I got the option to verify my copy of Windows (progress!). Couldn't since no internet yet. Got to step 4, and it asked for verification again in manual mode. Again clicked later, and it installed all the way through.

After reinstalling P-Tools, got my internet connection back, and verified windows. Thus far, all is well.

So far, I'm not super impressed, but at least things are working again. I have to say, working in AutoCAD on my clunky old PC was getting REALLY old.