Parallels 3210 and BootCamp 1.1.2 - Custom partition issues

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by david.maclean, Jan 15, 2007.

1. david.maclean

david.maclean Bit poster

Hi All,
    I've got an issue using my Boot-Camp partition with Parallels v3120 - I'd say it's because I didn't actually use boot camp to create the partition, but am hoping there is a way around it.

I want to have 2 HFS+, 1 NTFS and 1 FAT32 partitions. I did this by partitioning my drive with Disk Utility and selecting the Master Boot Record option in the partitioning scheme. I have divided up the drive in the following manner: 1st 32GB FAT32, 2nd 32GB HFS+, 3rd 60GB HFS+, 4th 32GB FAT32. From there I imaged my mac partitions from pre-installed disk images, then booted from a Windows XP SP2 CD. During the install I selected to install onto the 1st FAT32 partition and reformatted it as NTFS. Once WIN XP was installed I installed the Boot Camp 1.1.2 Drivers. Boot Camp works perfectly and I have two other Mac OS X partitions to boot from.

When I installed Parallels I selected the custom VM and when I got to the screen where you select the boot camp partition - it is greyed out.
    Does Parallels require GUID or is MBR OK?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
    Dave

2. neps

neps Bit poster

I have the same issue here. my setup for my mac pro, is a RAID 1 with two disks (and because of this I can't use bootcamps reformatter), and then I have my third disk on the drive formatted to three paritions, the third on that disk drive is an XP parition, that I can reboot into okay, (IE what bootcamp does) So why can't Parallels recognize it as valid?