Can't install Parallels Tools in Fedora 12 guest - what can I do ?

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by tjb, Nov 18, 2009.

1. tjb

tjb Bit poster

I'm having trouble installing the Parallels Tools in a Fedora 12 guest. I have Parallels Desktop for Macintosh version 5.0. The installation of the Parallels Tools fails with the following...

Installation of kernel modules was finished successfully
    /etc/modprobe.conf is missing
    Start installation of user space modules
    X server: xorg, v1.7.1
    Install X modules from directory: .1.7
    System X modules are placed in /usr/lib64/xorg/modules
    Error: there is no X modules for this version of X server
    Error: failed to install user space applications and drivers
    2009-11-18T18:28:56-0500: execCmd: ./install --install [165]
    2009-11-18T18:28:56-0500: Error: An error occurred when installing Parallels Too
    ls. Please go to /var/log/parallels-tools-install.log for more information.

What can I do ?

Thanks,
    Tim.

2. KirkF

KirkF Bit poster

Xorg 1.7 not supported?

I had the same problem. Ubuntu 9.10 runs fine, and Parallels Tools install with no problem -- but Ubuntu is running Xorg 1.6X. Fedora is using 1.7.

3. raycheung

raycheung Bit poster

I'm in the exact situation too..... please anyone help....

4. KirkF

KirkF Bit poster

Don't hold your breath...

I don't imagine we'll see an update to support Fedora 12 any time soon. I'm NOT bashing the Parallels team -- if you are creating a virtual machine with a stable OS that has been around a while, Parallels and its tools work great. But if you're going to create a virtual machine with a "bleeding edge" OS release that's only been on the street for less than a week -- well, don't be surprised if all the bells and whistles aren't there yet. Give Parallels some time, OK?

5. timur

timur Member

Maybe if Parallels tried to get their kernel modules included in the official kernel, instead of forcing the guest to compile them during installation, we wouldn't have these problems. Each distribution would then come with the Tools automatically. In fact, the distribution could detect that it's being installed under Parallels and install the kernel modules and applications for you. Wouldn't that be great?

Anyway, I'm having this same problem. First, I had to specify "pci=noacpi" just to get Fedora 12 to install at all. Now I have to wait for Parallels to update their Tools installer to deal with the new kernel.

Here's the log file:

6. cbell

cbell Bit poster

I'm getting the same errors in the parallels tools log. I'm trying to install tools for Fedora Core 12.
    I use parallels so that I can test the latests OS's. I need tools installed so that the mouse functions over remote connections.

1.) Is Fedora 12 not supported by Parallels?

2.) Is there a beta version of parallel tools with Fedora 12 support that I could download?

Thanks!

7. timur

timur Member

Probably.
    Since it's Thanksgiving this week, it's highly unlikely that we'll see any fixes before January.

8. pingaloca1

pingaloca1 Junior Member

I am also getting this same error. I don't know if this is new to this version of parallels, but I would like to know what to do as well.

Thanks.

9. firewing1

firewing1 Bit poster

I've just installed Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac Build 9308, Parallels Tools install without errors and seems to work well from my initial tests. At the very least, the clipboard and screen resizing works well. Thanks PD5 developers for the quick response, F12 was only release a month ago!

10. woodcreeper

woodcreeper Bit poster

Still unable to install PT on Fedora 12

Hey All-

so I mounted the iso, navigated to it in Terminal, and use "su" to run the sh install
    I got through the initial installation process, but got an error during install. Any suggestions you can provide would be most welcome. Here's my log file:

2010-01-26T12:51:55-0500: execCmd: /usr/lib/parallels-tools/install --remove [0]
    2010-01-26T12:51:59-0500: installer: reboot.
    2010-01-26T12:54:08-0500:

Parallels Tools 5.0.9220.531002 Installer started.
    2010-01-26T12:54:14-0500: execCmd: ./installer/pm.sh check_guest_tools 2>&1 [0]

Tue Jan 26 12:54:14 EST 2010
    Start installation or upgrade of Guest Tools
    Installed Guest Tools were not found
    Perform installation into the /usr/lib/parallels-tools directory
    cat: /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/../version: No such file or directory
    Start installation of prl_eth kernel module
    make: Entering directory `/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods'
    cd prl_eth/pvmnet && make
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet'
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.31.12-174.2.3.fc12.i686/build M=/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet
    make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.31.12-174.2.3.fc12.i686'
    LD /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/built-in.o
    CC [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/pvmnet.o
    LD [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/prl_eth.o
    Building modules, stage 2.
    MODPOST 1 modules
    WARNING: modpost: missing MODULE_LICENSE() in /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/prl_eth.o
    see include/linux/module.h for more information
    CC /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/prl_eth.mod.o
    LD [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/prl_eth.ko
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.31.12-174.2.3.fc12.i686'
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet'
    cd prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg && make
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg'
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.31.12-174.2.3.fc12.i686/build SUBDIRS=/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg SRCROOT=/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg modules
    CC [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.o
    LD [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prl_tg.o
    MODPOST 1 modules
    WARNING: modpost: missing MODULE_LICENSE() in /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prl_tg.o
    WARNING: modpost: Found 3 section mismatch(es).
    To see full details build your kernel with:
    'make CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y'
    CC /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prl_tg.mod.o
    LD [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prl_tg.ko
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg'
    cp -f prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/*.symvers prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs ||:
    cd prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs && make
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs'
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.31.12-174.2.3.fc12.i686/build M=/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs
    LD /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/built-in.o
    CC [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/super.o
    CC [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/inode.o
    CC [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/file.o
    CC [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/interface.o
    LD [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/prl_fs.o
    MODPOST 1 modules
    WARNING: modpost: missing MODULE_LICENSE() in /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/prl_fs.o
    CC /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/prl_fs.mod.o
    LD [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/prl_fs.ko
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs'
    cd prl_fs_freeze/Snapshot/Guest/Linux/prl_freeze && make
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs_freeze/Snapshot/Guest/Linux/prl_freeze'
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.31.12-174.2.3.fc12.i686/build M=/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs_freeze/Snapshot/Guest/Linux/prl_freeze modules
    CC [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs_freeze/Snapshot/Guest/Linux/prl_freeze/prl_fs_freeze.o
    MODPOST 1 modules
    CC /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs_freeze/Snapshot/Guest/Linux/prl_freeze/prl_fs_freeze.mod.o
    LD [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs_freeze/Snapshot/Guest/Linux/prl_freeze/prl_fs_freeze.ko
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs_freeze/Snapshot/Guest/Linux/prl_freeze'
    make: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods'
    Start installation of prl_tg kernel module
    Start installation of prl_fs kernel module
    Start installation of prl_fs_freeze kernel module
    DKMS modules were added successfully
    DKMS modules were built successfully
    Installation of kernel modules was finished successfully
    /etc/modprobe.conf is missing
    Start installation of user space modules
    X server: xorg, v1.7.4
    Install X modules from directory: .1.7
    System X modules are placed in /usr/lib/xorg/modules
    Error: there is no X modules for this version of X server
    Error: failed to install user space applications and drivers
    2010-01-26T12:55:31-0500: execCmd: ./install --install [165]
    2010-01-26T12:55:31-0500: Error: An error occurred when installing Parallels Tools. Please go to /var/log/parallels-tools-install.log for more information.

11. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi, the support of xorg-1.7 was added in the build 9308, please try to upgrade the Parallels Desktop to the build >= 9308.

12. woodcreeper

woodcreeper Bit poster

Elric

Yes! Thanks! As soon as I posted this note, I checked and saw that there was a new build... installed it... and it now works great. Thanks for the speedy reply too!

Cheers

David

13. mikosh

mikosh Bit poster

I'm running into this problem, and am using Parallesl Desktop for Windows Build 4.0.6630 (Revision 449744; October 13, 2009). When I choose "Check for Updates" under the Help menu, it indicates there are no updates available.

How do I get the newer build?

Thanks, Ross

14. JoshJ

JoshJ Bit poster

Can't install tools in Fedora 12

Hey guys, I'm trying to load Parallels Tools into Fedora 12 (2.6.31.12-174.2.19.fc12.x86_64). Mounting the iso mounts to /media/"Fedora 12 x86_64 DVD"/ (an odd place for it; oddly enough that's the same name of the iso I installed Fedora from). When I type sh install, I get "/usr/bin/install: cannot execute binary file" What does that mean and what can I do about it?

Thanks,
    Josh