Connecting to the internet in Parallels

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ChelseaL, Oct 22, 2009.

1. ChelseaL

ChelseaL Bit poster

Hi there,

Obviously many people are having this problem, but after reading through several threads and troubleshooting, I am still unable to connect to the internet. I connect on my Mac side via airport. I have Parallels Tools installed on the Windows side. I am afraid I have randomly changed settings with no rhyme or reason in hopes of achieving a connect, but nothing has worked. Could anyone walk me through the process of connecting? Whether this means reverting to defaults and working from there, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Chelsea

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Please

1. Open Preferences -> Network and click Restore Defaults

2. Make sure that VM is in Shared Networking Mode

3. then reboot the VM if it was started

If networking stil doesn't work, click Start -> Run and execute cmd.exe. Type in the appeared window command "ipconfig /all". Then, without closing the window, click Parallels Destkop menu "Help"->"Report a Problem", send a problem report (it is not necessary to provide description) and post here the report ID.

3. Stephen J

Stephen J Bit poster

Having the same problem...

I have read over several of the forums and am still unable to connect to the internet through Vista. Maybe I am having a similar problem to chelsea? I sent in a report, with the id 670385. I have tried reinstalling the parallel tools, restoring defaults under network preferences, and it is in sharing mode.

Thanks for the help!

4. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Unfortunately, the main output of ipconfig /all is not visible in the sent report (it is unexpected to me). But just a guess:

it seems that AirPort adapter is constantly connecting and disconnecting every 10 seconds. Please try to disable it if you don't use it.

If this won't help, send a problem report again, but please make sure that all output fits to the window.

5. ChelseaL

ChelseaL Bit poster

Hi there

The ID is 687797. Thank you,
    Chelsea

6. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi,

Networking type is setup to "Host Only". In this mode VM is blocked from accessing internet. Please switch to the Shared Networking

If this won't help, then:
    In the problem report command "ipconfig /all" was executed in the Start. It is not right.. So, if switching to Shared won't help, execute cmd.exe (shall appear big black window). Please stretch it to maximum and type in it "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) and hit enter. Then send a problem report.

7. ChelseaL

ChelseaL Bit poster

Report ID 695336

Thank you,
    Chelsea

8. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Please start the cmd.exe one more time and execute in it command "netsh interface ip reset resetlog.txt" (without quotes) and then reboot the VM.

If this won't help, create a support-ticket at http://www.parallels.com/support/desktop/request/

9. Ralston

Ralston Bit poster

Here is what I did to get internet connection for Ubuntu 9.04 using built 4.3848 - VM network config, select enable network adapter and connect. Then select Bridged Ethernet, then select Parallels Shared Network adapter in the drop down menu. That worked and now I am upgrading Ubuntu 9.10, smile.

10. stewartb

stewartb Bit poster

No internet connection

Running Leopard and Parallels 4.0 desktop

id 867756.

11. NoelM

NoelM Bit poster

I had good internet connection with my XP under vers. 4. Version 5 has been giving me fits. It would not register the app for me, so it says it can't update. The gear twirls a little, but stops and upon several attempts, it gets no further. I have to click Don't register to close the window. It bugs me about security database, but will not connect enough to complete the action. I was able to connect to Incredimail home page for a small download, but from that time on any attempt to open Incredimail results in a freeze.

No time now to work on it more. I will uninstall and try an reinstall tomorrow, then maybe reinstall vers 4.

12. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi, the version of Parallels Desktop you are running is too old - 4.0.3049. Please upgrade to the latest. So far it is 3848
    Link for download can be obtained in http://kb.parallels.com/en/5802

13. stewartb

stewartb Bit poster

Unfortunately after downloading the latest version Parallels will not open at all "Prl_client_app quit unexpectedly" see below tried reloading again but still no joy.

Process: prl_client_app [194]
    Path: /Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_client_app
    Identifier: prl_client_app
    Version: ??? (???)
    Code Type: X86 (Native)
    Parent Process: launchd [141]

Date/Time: 2009-11-17 09:51:55.231 +0000
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.1 (10B504)
    Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 598809 sec
    Crashes Since Last Report: 111
    Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 4
    Anonymous UUID: 99C1B9F4-EA50-436D-9DC2-A3F08F0D3FF9

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
    Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000
    Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Thread 0 Crashed: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
    0 ??? 0000000000 0 + 0
    1 com.parallels.starter 0x0000705a start + 258
    2 com.parallels.starter 0x00006f81 start + 41

14. stewartb

stewartb Bit poster

Unfortunately after downloading the latest version Parallels will not open at all "Prl_client_app quit unexpectedly" see below tried reloading again but still no joy.

Process: prl_client_app [194]
    Path: /Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_client_app
    Identifier: prl_client_app
    Version: ??? (???)
    Code Type: X86 (Native)
    Parent Process: launchd [141]

Date/Time: 2009-11-17 09:51:55.231 +0000
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.1 (10B504)
    Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 598809 sec
    Crashes Since Last Report: 111
    Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 4
    Anonymous UUID: 99C1B9F4-EA50-436D-9DC2-A3F08F0D3FF9

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
    Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000
    Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Thread 0 Crashed: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
    0 ??? 0000000000 0 + 0
    1 com.parallels.starter 0x0000705a start + 258
    2 com.parallels.starter 0x00006f81 start + 41

15. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Please uninstall Parallels Desktop by following the steps mentioned below in the link:
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/5714
    2. Now please perform the disk repair permissions.
    1. Reboot your Mac.
    2. Launch Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility.
    3. Select Macintosh HD on the left panel and click Repair Disk permissions.
    3. Now install Parallels Desktop with the latest build

16. SB123

SB123 Bit poster

I have reloaded Parallels but still have no internet connection. Any other suggestions??? Stewart B

17. TroyO

TroyO Bit poster

No internet connection

I have the same problem, no internet, after upgrading to 5.0. I tried the troubleshooting steps and then ran the report with ID 937543. I have no Parallels network adapters in the Mac System Preferences/Networking tab any more like I did with 4.0.

Troy

18. JSAF

JSAF Bit poster

Elric,
    This option of resetting the network through the command prompt worked for me. Thank for the tip.
    James
    (MBP 1,1 OS 10.6.2, Windows XP home edition SP 3, Parallels Desktop v5)

19. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Pleas click Start -> Run and execute cmd.exe. Type in the appeared window command "ipconfig /all" (without quotes). Stretch the window to make all the output fit and without closing the window, click menu of Parallels Destkop "Help"->"Report a Problem", send a problem report (it is not necessary to provide description) and post here the report ID.

20. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Do you have some VPN client installed? Or some other antivirus together with installed Parallels Internet Security? There could be a conflict between Parallels Internet Security (Kaspersky 2009) and VPN client/another antivirus. It is not a well research issue for now.. Please try to remove Kaspersky 2009 and reboot the machine.

If you don't have any VPN client or firewall, Right-click "My Computer" -> "Manage" -> "Device Manager", unfold the "Network Adapters" and send a problem report using menu of Parallels Desktop "Help"->"Report a Problem" and post here the report ID.

If after uninstall of PIS and reboot the network will continue not function, but there will be some adapters in the ipconfig /all output,
    Code:
    click "Start" -> "Run" and execute cmd.exe. Type in the appeared window two commands (without quotes):

netsh interface ip reset resetlog.txt
    netsh winsock reset