When Parallels is slow on my MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mkummer, Jan 15, 2007.

1. mkummer

mkummer Member

I noticed recently, that Parallels runs/starts excitingly fast, if nothing is conncected to my MacBook Pro and Network Sharing is not active, Bluetooth off. Then Parallels starts within 2 or 3 secs and XP resumes after a very short time - about 2-3- sec too. That is as you could want it to be. Back in my office, I conncet the usual: Cinema 30 inch, some USB equipment and have iChat, Maill and Safari active. Now startup of Parallels takes 2 to 3 times longer and XP needs some time to resume (10 untel 20 sec.) and during this time, XP is just unresponsive. If XP is finally resumed it runs in both scenarios similar fast. Probably some startup checks of the system are not optimized and the developer team should look into it??

2. joem

joem Forum Maven

Ummm... When Parallels is the only user of all the machine's resources, it's fast, and when it has to compete for resources with other things on the machine, it's slower? To me, this seems like expected behavior. I would also expect that if XP has to check mounted devices and there are more of them, it would take more time. I doubt the developers need do anything about it.

3. imoretti

imoretti Bit poster

MBP performance hit

Bingo. I've been experiencing very long delays booting into XP (Parallels build 3120). I disconnected my 20" cinema display and it's speedy as all get out now...

15" MBP 2.33 C2D, 10.4.8, 2GB RAM

4. mkummer

mkummer Member

So I was on the right trail. I dont see any serious reason for a delay because of a second monitor on a MacBook Pro. Probably there can be done anything against? And BTW - USB-connected items that are NOT connected to Parallels should not delay it either?

5. Kaspers

Kaspers Bit poster

Just install Windows Fundamentals for legacy PC's, its much faster.