Snow Leopard/Vista/USB Audio

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by RolandJ, Sep 2, 2009.

1. RolandJ

RolandJ Bit poster

Using a USB headset for speech recognition (Dragon 10) was no problem before I upgraded to Snow Leopard this morning. Since then the USB playback is chopped - sounds just like an old DMA access conflict, hacked into pieces.

This is a Mac PRO 8-core, 6GB RAM, Vista Enterprise (3GB, 4 CPUs). I tested same on Macbook PRO, same symptoms.

Audio playback via USB headset into MAC and using default settings in Parallels 4.0.3846 is fine, but microphone volume is not sufficient.

Either way unusable! Any ideas?

2. stewarsh

stewarsh Member

I am having a similar problem with my GN 2000 headset when trying to use an IP Phone in XP. This worked perfectly in 10.5.X

3. Alexander Haltman

Alexander Haltman Parallels Developers

Hi RolandJ. Hi Stewarsh.

What software (name and version) do you use in guest os to record/recognize sound from usb-headset.
    Link to the site will be good.

4. DeD

DeD Bit poster

Hello,

The issue is annoying, since the dictation software Dragon Naturally Speaking 9.5 (as seemingly version 10 for the original poster) is a key productivity app that justified getting Parallels Desktop in the first place - at least for me.

Audio playback in general is choppy on the USB headset inside the VM since I upgraded to Snow Leopard (running at release 10.6.1).

Now the technical info:
    - Parallels Desktop for Mac Build 4.0.3846
    - VM runs Windows XP Professional 2002 SP3, alotted to VM are 1 Core, 128MB graphics RAM and 2GB physical RAM, all running on a MacBook Pro (2.66GHz, bought june 2009)
    - Headset is a Logitech ClearChat USB Pro (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/w...nternet_headsets_phones/devices/3622&cl=us,en)

Web-Link to app in question is:
    http://WWW.NUANCE.COM/naturallyspeaking/products/default.asp

I'd be glad to download a update which solves this "USB-audio inside Windows-VM" problem.

Best regards,
    Dennis

5. Peter Linsener

Peter Linsener Junior Member

This seems to be quite a common issue with USB Audio devices, I experience the same issue with a USB Audio interface (Edirol UA-101, also very popular) , any news form the Parallels team ?

6. Alexander Haltman

Alexander Haltman Parallels Developers

Choppy sound, when using a usb audio device directly connected to a virtual machine, is a known bug with Snow Leonard 10.6.0 & 10.6.1. This bug affects not only parallels virtualization products. Please, update your mac to 10.6.2.
    Also, update parallels desktop to latest one - 4.0.3848.

7. Peter Linsener

I am at 10.6.2 , however, I use Parallels 5.0.9220. And I have the same issues as before, just that after upgrading to version 5 the whole virtual machine sometimes freezes when playing back audio.

8. CarloL

CarloL Bit poster

Snow Leopard/Win 7/USB Mic/Dragon Naturally Speaking 10/Parallels 5

I am having audio issues with the above title. Win 7 is not recognizing my mic. In Snow Leop. alone the mic works fine.

Any help would be great.

PMSC

9. mluecke

mluecke Bit poster

Any news on the problem with USB headsets? I also get choppy sound using a Plantronics Voyager Pro UC in a Win XP VM on Parallels 5.0.9308 / SL 10.6.2. The headset is directly connected to the VM.

10. CarloL

CarloL Bit poster

Everything works even with cheap microphone - all I did was update snow leopard and parallels as well as win7 and everything works. I think snow leopard was the problem as I ordered a new powerbook pro and had not updated via the web.

11. RonnieE

RonnieE Bit poster

Did anyone every find out what the issue is with the choppy sound when using USB headsets? I am using a Plantronics CS50 USB headset that worked flawlessly before upgrading to Snow Leopard. I even tried upgrading to Parallels 5 but no luck. Currently using 5.0.9308 / SL 10.6.2 with XP. Please help!

12. SamuelG

SamuelG Bit poster

Workaround

I'm having the same problem.

I happen to have a Logitech USB A-5572A to 1/8" phono jack (mic in + headphone out) interface as well as a Plantronics DA40 USB adapter. Both exhibit the same choppy audio with the USB connected to the virtual machine. Tried all sorts of combinations of bit rates and kHz to no avail.

HOWEVER, if I plug the mic into the Logitech and the headphones into the macbook's headphone out - no choppiness! I would conclude from this test that the choppy audio is the result of 2 simultaneous USB data/audio stream with USB connected to the VM (the mic in and headphone out). I have rock solid audio with only 1 stream.

Just for interest I plugged in a USB HDD and copied a 600MB file while using the USB mic in the VM - the audio is a little choppy in places, not as consistent as 2 audio streams, but it does drop out.

So my solution at the moment is to use this wonderful Logitech USB for the headphone in and MBP headphone out directly.

My config - Snow Leopard 10.6.2, Windows 7 x64, MacBook Pro 17" mid-2009

13. RonnieE

RonnieE Bit poster

10.6.3 Update

Just wanted to update everyone that the 10.6.3 update resolved my choppy audio issues when using USB headsets in Parallels!!!

14. Peter Linsener

10.6.3 doesnt change anything here, unfortunately. Moreover I meanwhile have tried a third USB Audio device with the same result: perfect in OSX, crackle and pops when streaming audio from the virtual machine (v 5.0.9344) :(

15. mcclish

mcclish Bit poster

Snow Leopard/Win XP/USB Mic/Dragon Naturally Speaking 10/Parallels

With the newest releases of Snow Leopard, has anyone gotten the USB Audio Devices to work well with Dragon Naturally Speaking and Parallels? And if so, will you please let me know what did you needed to do? Thanks very much!

16. Tobianic

Tobianic Bit poster

As far as i have read, but not tried myself, one attempt to combine these two at least (SNow Leopard and Parallels) was unsuccessful. Probably you will be more lucky :)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012