Very Slow Startup for Parallels 5

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by rmansfield, Nov 4, 2009.

1. RanM

RanM Bit poster

The same issue in here : ID 842829.

2. RanM

RanM Bit poster

Hi,

yes, after working with Spotlight including the whole harddrive Parallels Desktop 5 started working as it should be.
    As a temporary fix is ok.
    I hope Parallels team are having a look on this.

Thanks

3. dirk712

dirk712 Bit poster

"Deactivating" Spotlight does it!

Hi all,

i followed the instructions from Peter (post #56, 2009-11-14, 1:32, bluehalosaint) to "deactivate" Spotlight and everything was fine. Parallels 5 starts within 4 secs. For me, this workaround helps and I can work with my windows-images having no further problems so far.

By the way, I "reactivated" Spotlight for my harddisk volume while Parallels was running. => No problem for Parallels, I can start, stop my windows-images without any problems. Looks like, that Parallels 5 only have a problem while starting and Spotlight is enabled for the harddisk volume.

Nevertheless, I need a fix as soon as possible, since this workaround limits my daily work with OSX dramatically. Spotlight is an important tool which should always be available.

regards
    dirk

4. AndriY

AndriY Bit poster

I think many bugs in this Parallel's release. If we see at Console log.

11/15/09 10:38:27 PM prl_client_app[231] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x1ab8f1b0 of class NSCFArray autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
    11/15/09 10:38:27 PM prl_client_app[231] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x1bc72290 of class NSCFArray autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
    11/15/09 10:38:46 PM prl_client_app[231] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x2deec90 of class NSCFArray autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
    11/15/09 10:38:46 PM prl_client_app[231] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x2da10d0 of class NSCFArray autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
    11/15/09 10:38:56 PM prl_client_app[231] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x1b701790 of class NSCFArray autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
    11/15/09 10:38:56 PM prl_client_app[231] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x2b8c210 of class NSCFArray autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking

Just leaking means there're memory leaks.

Somebody should aware of this and work on fix immediately.
    Thanks.

5. jlbrach

jlbrach Member

i will reiterate that this is NOT the same problem i am having and turning off spotlight doesnt make any difference...my situation allows parallels to start up immediately and everything is fine until vista opens and then it takes more amount of time for the programs and icons in vista to appear and become active...i literally sit waiting 5-10 minutes before the vista task bar and icons appear and become active.....all the while parallels is up and running....perhaps there is more than 1 problem to deal with

6. larruk

larruk Bit poster

slow startup

same issue. upgrade slow, fresh install in new computer boots normally.

7. Paradodo

Paradodo Bit poster

Tried again, now it works. I'm running Parallels from my Bootcamp Windows partition. In this case, it's enough to just exclude the Bootcamp partition from Spotlight. You can still keep Spotlight enabled for your main Mac Partition.

8. bluehalosaint

bluehalosaint Junior Member

Your in the wrong thread.

jlbrach,

This thread is for people experiencing slow startup times on the Parallels 5 APPLICATION, not on their VMs.

You may want to looks at a different forum or different thread for an answer.

This thread is for a large group of people experiencing application startup times of over 5 minutes. Once the application starts everything works fine.

Hope you find an answer to your VM startup time.

Thanks,

Peter

9. Pascal Pochet

Pascal Pochet Bit poster

no Bootcamp partition here… so this does not help…

10. oceanben

oceanben Bit poster

Problem ID

Problem ID 868042

Same problem as above. Problem is with booting Parallels 5 not with booting the Virtual Machine. Bouncing icon in dock for at least 5 min.

2.53GHz MacBook Pro
    8GB RAM

4GB RAM allocated to VM

11. bluehalosaint

bluehalosaint Junior Member

Pascal / Oceanben

Pascal / Oceanben,

Please look at my previous posting ("Got it working, but its not a permanent fix." and see if turning off spotlight fixes the problem (the steps to do this are in the post).

Wether your running bootcamp or not should not matter.

This seems to be a temporary fix for many. Let me know how it works out for you.

Thanks,

Peter

PS Last posting from Parallels is from 3 days ago! Help us out guys!!!

12. Jeff Tarver

Jeff Tarver Bit poster

Got it fixed...

I made one adjustment that got my boot time from a cold start of Parallels 5 to the Windows login screen down to 43 seconds. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate on a boot camp partition. I have a newer iMac with 4 gigs of memory. I just use the standard settings for my VM - like 1 gig of memory, etc.

To fix the problem I set as "Private" my Mac drive in Spotlight so it would not do a search. Setting the boot camp as "Private" had no effect and it ran just as slow. I do not like doing that since I use it so much, but as a short term work around it is better than a 5 minute startup.

How does my 43 second startup compare to others? I am curious.

Thanks! Jeff

13. mmurray

mmurray Member

Same problem. Disabling Spotlight fixes it. 10.6.2.

ID 876937.

Michael

14. mmurray

mmurray Member

As someone else pointed out you can turn Spotlight back on by removing your HD from the private list while Parallels is running without any ill effect it seems. So I guess you can just leave it running all the time. Or do the Spotlight trick before launch.

Michael

15. Jon Stacey

Jon Stacey Bit poster

Problem Report 914356

Indeed, after waiting an obscene length of time Parallels did finally start. I enabled detailed log messages and sent a problem report: ID 914356.

I turned off detailed log messages as well as all animations and now PD will start in ~30 seconds--still an unacceptable length of time. Interestingly, when I did let the first startup complete (in which it took several minutes to start), it again had to do some work for the first startup which took several minutes on it's own.

This is a clean Parallels Desktop 5 installation. It was not upgraded, and there have been no previous Parallels products installed on this computer. A Windows 7 Boot Camp partition does exist.

16. bugmenot

bugmenot Bit poster

Simply unmount all Your Windows disks (eg Boot Camp partition)

17. mmurray

mmurray Member

I don't have a Boot Camp partition or any other window disks I know of.

Next ...

Michael

18. Chris Tinkle

Chris Tinkle Bit poster

Parallels Slow to Boot Up

I too am having issues with Parallels 5 taking a long time to boot up. I am using XP and a boot camp partition. After clicking on the parallels icon, in the Mac partition, it can easily take well over 6-7 minutes before the XP desktop is up and is available to use. I hope that Parallels is looking into this problem and does not give some kind of difficult to understand fix (preferably a download to fix the problem). It is good to see that I am not the only one with this issue.

19. mattc247

mattc247 Bit poster

Same problem. Very slow to launch. Report attached

The requested Activity Monitor log is too long to post, so I've attached it.

Matt

Attached Files:

20. Paul Derby

Paul Derby Bit poster

You can add me to the list of those with sloooooooow startup on Win XP after upgrading to Parallels version 5. I've been monitoring this thread since it started hoping Parallels would do something sooner than later.

I hope this performance degradation gets resolved soon.... I'm hoping to avoid switching to one of the other virtual solutions for the Mac to run the small number of Windows programs I have to use.