MacBook (non-Pro)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Leauki, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Leauki

Leauki Hunter

Does anybody have experience with running Parallels Desktop on a (non-Pro) MacBook?

Can it run Vista (I don't need fancy graphics)?

How much memory can a MacBook take?

2. Leauki

Leauki Hunter

Seriously, does nobody know anything about Parallels on a MacBook???

3. pewe

pewe Bit poster

I can assure you that it works just fine on a MacBook (Core Duo 1,8 in my case). I had to upgrade the memory from 512 MB to 2 GB, and it works like a charme. 512 MB is definitly not enough. I tried it with 1 GB, that was ok, but with 2 GB it feels more smoothly.

I use it very often with XP on a second monitor in fullscreen mode with a windows keyboard and mouse. That way it is easy to forget that you are using a vm.

I am using XP SP2, no bootcamp. I tried bootcamp in a vm, and it seemed to be running well, but I decided that I don't need it. I can't say anything about vista, I haven't tried it.

4. Leauki

Leauki Hunter

Thanks, but I am more worried about Vista running on Parallels running on a MacBook. I figured Windows XP/Parallels/MacBook would not be a problem. (But thanks for the confirmation!)

Anybody run Vista/Parallels/MacBook?

5. tomwojeck

tomwojeck Bit poster

Running Vista

I have a macbook with 2 gb or ram and was able to load vista into parallels without much trouble. I would recommend giving at least 1 gb of ram to the VM.

I haven't done much with it other than play around, but it does seem to work OK.

6. levo

levo Bit poster

winxp sp2 works like a charm on my macbook. I have 2 gb ram.

Vista also works, bu vvvveeeeeerrrrryyyyyyyy slooooooow. despite 1024mb allocated memory. I have shut-down problems with vista though. I have to stop the vm every time.

7. Leauki

Leauki Hunter

tomwojeck: Thanks.

levo: Is that with the lowest possible graphics effects settings (i.e. looking like XP)?