Parallels 5 seems much slower

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JethrynF, Nov 4, 2009.

1. JethrynF

JethrynF Bit poster

One of the only things I use Parallels for is playing Unreal Tournament (original). Version 4 worked well, but version 5 is very jerky compared to Parallels 4.

Has anybody else noticed this?

2. LukeW

LukeW Bit poster

Same here - upgraded this morning and noticed a performance lag.

Just ran a Compress and it dropped my XP SP3 shell from 12gb down to 3.8gb and it seems a bit snappier now ... give that a go?

3. LukeW

LukeW Bit poster

Yes .. I just ran a compress over it, went from 12gb used to 3.8gb used (Win XP SP3 image, used primarily for Outlook and Visio) and it seems a bit quicker now ... I'd recommend giving that a go

4. ChristopherB

ChristopherB Member

I can't quantify it, and I don't play games - but it seems less snappy than 4.0 did just yesterday.

5. JethrynF

JethrynF Bit poster

Tried compressing it here, no effect.

In the VM settings, everything is set up for max performance, the same as with Parallels 4.

6. JethrynF

JethrynF Bit poster

Tried compressing, no effect. All my settings are the same as with v4 and are set up for max performance.

7. wdcurry

wdcurry Member

actually i compressed 2 days ago and now my VM runs like in 386-mode.. hopefully i can uncompress..

8. STim

STim Bit poster

Can you provide problem report IDs? Please,

1. Have your VMs running.
    2. Go to Help->Report a problem menu
    3. Send problem report, wait till system replies with problem report ID.
    4. Write problem report ID here.

The problem report contains logs and some details about your VM configuration, that should help understand the issue.

Thank you in advance.

9. twideman

twideman Bit poster

My system has ground to a virtual halt instead of speeding up. MacBook Pro, 2.33gHz Core 2 Duo, Boot Camp partition, 3gb RAM. Spinning pizza pan, typed characters don't appear for 5 seconds, saving a text file took 5 seconds, WinXP programs take twice as long to launch, the WinXP mouse hangs and skips.

Problem report# is 833470.

10. STim

STim Bit poster

twideman,

Please try lowering the amount of RAM given to VM. Stop your VM, go to Configure->General->Main Memory. Try setting 1024 MB RAM for VM. Both VM and MacOS will perform much better after that.

11. twideman

twideman Bit poster

Thanks Tim, trying it now.

12. Airw0lfBen

Airw0lfBen Bit poster

please report if you experience a better performance.
    I've set my VM (which uses my boot camp partition) to 2GB ram and it's slow.

13. twideman

twideman Bit poster

Yes, it is greatly improved from before (i.e., when set to 1024 vs. 2048 previously). Given I have 3gb physical memory and had no other apps open, I'm not sure why I can't allocate 2048 to Parallels to handle processor-intensive apps on the Win side. At least it's useable now.

14. chcsep

chcsep Member

With Parallels 4, I used to be able to click a number of icons on my dock, including Parallels (which was suspended--Windows XP) and a number of icons for programs within Parallels. In Parallels 4, this would open Parallels, and the various programs whose icons I clicked would open.

With Parallels 5, when I do the same, Parallels will bring Windows back from suspend, and the little white circles will appear under the program icons in the dock, but the programs don't open.

I've upgraded to the latest build of Parallels (5.0.9308), and I've reduced the amount of RAM allocated to the guest OS (reduced from 1024 to 768 MB out of 2GB physical memory), but the problem still happens.

Between the slower resume and my programs not opening from the dock, I'm seriously considering reverting to Parallels 4. I am not impressed with 5.