Parallels Control Center Crashes

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mrutter, Nov 5, 2009.

1. petrovv

petrovv Member

Hello,
    could you give me a crash dump from your guest machine?
    How can you do it? wonder_mice described it in his post at Nov 9, 2009, 11:55 AM:

These files will help me to solve the problem. Thank you.

2. petrovv

petrovv Member

John Crighton, I'm sorry, I didn't notice that your guest if Windows.
    There is another post from wonder_mice here:
    Please, check %LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps and post crashdumps here or if there isn't any crash dump then adjust settings in your registry in guest and try to reproduce the crash. Your crash dump is very needed.

3. mrutter

mrutter Member

Hi petrovv and wonder_mice.

I followed wonder_mice instructions to enable crash dump on Windows Vista (I own Vista Ultimate SP2) but when prl_cc crashed no crash dumps informations have been created. I'm going to check the Microsoft KB.

In the meantime I observed that prl_cc seems to crash after a "number" of copy operations.

Today it crashed again. I started a debug session and I get the following message:

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x16a0) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
    Unhandled exception at 0x002141cd in prl_cc.exe: 0xC00000FD: Stack overflow.

While I try to enable crash dumps on Vista I hope this would help you.

Kind regards,
    Marcello

4. mrutter

mrutter Member

Hi petrovv,
    with reference to my previous post there is a mismatch in wonder_mice instructions.

According with the following document: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb787181(VS.85).aspx the DumpFolder is a registry parameter of type REG_EXPAND_SZ and not REG_SZ.

Do you think that this could be the reason why I did not get the crash dumps files?

I changed my registry configuration and I'm waiting for the next prl_cc crash ... it should occur within the next two days.

Thank you.

Marcello

5. wonder_mice

wonder_mice Hunter

Hi mrutter,
    Yes, type of value must be REG_EXPAND_SZ. Thanks. I fixed it in the original post.
    With REG_SZ type Windows will not expand %LOCALAPPDATA% to its original path value and therefor will not be able to store the dump.

6. John Crighton

John Crighton Bit poster

I have a dump file to upload, and it is 30MB in size after zipping. It does not appear that the forum software will let me upload this file. Can I email it or upload it to ftp? This time the crash occurred immediately when I launched Internet Explorer. This is not always the case. It generally happens earlier in the day.

7. petrovv

petrovv Member

John, I've sent you private message about uploading this file via fe.sw.ru.

8. mrutter

mrutter Member

TO petrovv:
    Please, let me know if you need more dumps or the one provided by John Crighton is sufficient.

Thank you.
    Marcello

9. petrovv

petrovv Member

mrutter, John Crighton - thanks a lot!!! You've helped me to understand the bug and I will fix it.

10. Shepherd

Shepherd Member

Hi,

Same problem with PD5 and Vista SP1 (up-to-date): see Windows report below.
    I have installed trial PD5 3 hours ago. I was happy to see some PD4 bugs solved. Obviously I was wrong to be happy so soon since other problems start right away: loosing copy/paste which is a very important feature.
    Currently, I don't have any idea about what caused the crash of the // Control Center. I have no time to fight with PD5 as I did with PD4. So please Parallels, solve this bug quicky (and not in the future v6).

I tried to relaunch manually prl_cc.exe without rebooting the VM: prl_cc.exe is back in the processes list and copy/paste seems to work again (for text only which is probably a normal behaviour since it works the same after rebooting VM).

Signature du problème
    Nom d’événement du problème*: APPCRASH
    Nom de l’application: prl_cc.exe
    Version de l’application: 5.0.9220.0
    Horodatage de l'application: 4aef76f4
    Nom du module par défaut: USER32.dll
    Version du module par défaut: 6.0.6002.18005
    Horodateur du module par défaut: 49e0380e
    Code de l’exception: c00000fd
    Décalage de l’exception: 0001f7aa
    Version du système: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
    Identificateur de paramètres régionaux: 1036
    Information supplémentaire n°*1: fd00
    Information supplémentaire n°*2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
    Information supplémentaire n°*3: fd00
    Information supplémentaire n°*4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Informations complémentaires sur le problème
    ID du récipient*: 1574593535

11. John Crighton

John Crighton Bit poster

Another Crash

I have another crash today, send me a link if you want the dump and I will upload it.

12. petrovv

petrovv Member

Shepherd, we've solved this problem and the fix will be available in the next PD5 update.

Say me please what is your host and guest OSes? (you can just send problem report and write here its number) In PD5 copy-paste must work for plain/formatted text and images. If you can't copy/paste some of these formats in OSes that supports it then you should say to me about it. We will solve the problem.

And what about relaunch manually prl_cc.exe? Can copy/paste be crashed in your further work?

13. GibsonCRGinTX

GibsonCRGinTX Bit poster

Windows 7 - Parallels Control Center has stopped working

I am getting this message regularly every few days, usually when the machine has been running overnight, but also in a variety of other situations. Does the procedure from Nov 7 above for Vista SP1 also apply to set up Windows 7 to give the details crash logs needed for further analysis?

Thanks,

..Chris..

14. Shepherd

Shepherd Member

Hi Petrov,

Thanks for your answer.

My Mac is running Leopard 10.5.8. PD5 is running one VM only: Vista Home Premium SP2 (sorry I wrote SP1 in my previous email).
    I have a full license of PD4 and currently try PD5 (before upgrading if I'm satisfied).

Copy/paste works only with text at the moment (even after I rebooted the VM and prl_cc.exe did not crash since reboot). For instance: if I write text and add a picture in Textedit, then copy all elements, I can only paste text in Word 2007 document. I can only drag and drop picture from the Finder in my Word document.

I spoke too fast: prl_cc.exe just crashed when I copied its name file in this Firefox page to paste it in my message.
    I sent a report but I don't know which number you need (I first noted a number in the log itself that changed in the library (in addition extension ends with tar.gz).
    I relaunched prl_cc.exe manually (I've got copy/paste back in Windows but have no time at all to test further).

15. Shepherd

Shepherd Member

Petrov,

The archive in User -> Library -> Logs -> Parallels -> Problem report is named PrlProblemReport-2009.11.25-15.56.03.170.tar.gz
    If decompress the archive the folder name is: PrlProblemReport-2009.11.25-15.55.50.028
    Hoping one of these is the number you need.

I also realized that I couldn't copy a picture from the Finder to paste it on Windows Desktop for instance.

Regards,

16. petrovv

petrovv Member

Hello Shepherd,
    let's begin from problem report number: when you press 'Help/Report a Problem', wait for some time and then press 'Send Report' button you would get a message box with ID. This number is needed.

Now about clipboard formats: if you copy formatted text PD50 sends data in RichTextFormat without any modifications. It's possible Word 2007 can't understand some its options. I don't know why but I'm going to study it. Now there is more important tasks so this issue may be resolved only in the next version of PD. You should note that formatted text isn't only plain text with images. Formatted text contains text of various colors and backgrounds, various fonts and sizes, tables and so on… Try to use this feature.

17. Shepherd

Shepherd Member

Hi Petrov,

Here is the ID number: 1002108

For Copy/Paste, I just tried to copy text + image from a webpage within Firefox for Mac to copy in Word 2007: it works. I did the same from Apple Pages template (formatted text): it works too.
    Don't know why it doesn't from TextEdit.

Regards,

18. petrovv

petrovv Member

Shepherd, thank you. I will study this problem with copying from TextEdit.

19. GibsonCRGinTX

GibsonCRGinTX Bit poster

How to report Windows 7 Error of Parallels Control Center?

I am getting the Parallels Control Center crashing every few days, but it's not repeatable. I tried following the steps given for Windows Vista to get the local dump logs, but they don't match the Windows 7 registry values. Specifically,

\LocalDumps

does not exist in that key in the registry. Can you tell me how I can report the info under Windows 7 to help track down the problem?

20. petrovv

petrovv Member

Hi,
    the way of getting crash dumps on Windows 7 is the same as on Windows Vista. You should create the following registry key hierarchy in the registry if it doesn't exist: [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps] and make the steps given for Windows Vista to get crash dump.