Windows XP fails to launch with Parallels 5

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Dave Wells, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Dave Wells

Dave Wells Junior Member

I too downloaded the latest version as soon as I heard about it yesterday. Installed it just fine in place of Parallels 4 on my MacBook Pro late 2009 unibody 2.8 Ghz, 4 Mb ram, OSX 10.6.1
    However when I ran Parallels and started Windows XP, it listed a bunch of drivers, then went to a flashed a blue screen with error messages and exited back to the start screen with the option of starting in "Safe mode". I tried that with the same result until the entire Mac locked up and required the power button restart.
    That was only the beginning...
    Trying for support lead me to find that I need the non-existent 10 digit code that is supposed to show with my registration, but doesn't. No way to contact anyone (except here) or get help in troubleshooting.
    I then got frustrated and decided to revert to Parallels 4, which had been working wonderfully, only to realize that it had been erased by the upgrade, and that my windows file had been edited by Parallels 5. When I got home, it was only thru the benefit of Time Machine that I got my windows container back, and then had to download Parallels 4 again and install it - after uninstalling Parallels 5 (which said it was running, after I closed it).
    Many hours to return where I started, with only a bad feeling for all of it.
    The question now is whether Parallels 5 is even as good as 4, or worth waiting for a solution to the install problems, or is it better to just get a refund and leave well enough alone?

2. Grandpa Jim

Grandpa Jim Junior Member

This doesn't sound good

The fact that there's no response to this post scares me from considering 5.0.
    I've got Windows XP Pro running on Parallels 3.0 and similar hardward setup and was considering going to 5.0.

It's looking like based on this post that 5.0 is not yet a finished product and my past experiences with the poor support from Parallels led me to conclude not to believe all the glowing marketing claims of faster, easier, auto this and that, etc

The claims are tempting but I don't want to spend hours going through the process of backing down and re-installing 3.0 if I have similar experience as this poster.

3. Ty Hansen

Ty Hansen Bit poster

Works fine for me!

I was a little worried when I read your post, but after taking the plunge I had no issues, my windows XP (bootcamp) booted right up in Parallels 5 and so far I am impressed with the new features. If I have any serious problems I'll post here, otherwise consider me a happy satisfied customer.