copy/paste is flaky

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by J Kelly, Nov 19, 2009.

1. J Kelly

J Kelly Bit poster

Hi,

I'm running parallels 3.0, windows xp, and leopard.

Copy/paste between windows and mac pretty much works but it occasionally it stops working for some reason. Seems to be random but maybe something consistent is happening that I'm not aware of.

After it stops working I cannot do a new selection in windows and copy to mac. The copy seemingly works (i.e., copy/paste within windows works) but the paste into mac application continues to be whatever was previously in the copy buffer/clipboard , not anything new. Of course, I've tried to re-copy/paste, and copy from different windows apps, no go. The copy to mac is just hung in some way.

The only way I've been able to get it working again is to shutdown parallels and restart. Very much a pain.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jim

2. SJR

SJR Member

This still happens in Parallels v5 occasionally...

3. FlemmingF

FlemmingF Bit poster

Clipboard not working

It almost never works for me since upgrading to Parallels Desktop 5. Is there a fix, or a likely cause?

Copying and pasting, either way, hasn't worked for me for several weeks. It is very annoying. Works within each operating system, of course, but not between them.

I also seem to remember that at first I was able to drag stuff over to the windows desktop from the mac desktop. That doesn't work either.

I've tried in different modes, Crystal, Coherence, Window, and it doesn't make any difference.

4. SJR

SJR Member

I find that this is happening at least once a day for me.

Another issue I have is that using 'open with' in Windoze and selecting a Mac app opens the correct app, but without the file in it!!! This could be related to clipboard issues?

Anyone at Parallels have an opinion on these issues??

5. Rob Woodbridge

Rob Woodbridge Bit poster

Having the same issue

Does anyone have a solution for this? Tried everything I can find. Copy and paste worked with version 4.0, stopped with 5.0.

Hey Parallels team -- HELP!!!!!!

6. FlemmingF

FlemmingF Bit poster

Copy/Paste not working in 5.0

That's basically my conclusion too. I haven't been able to get it to work again at all. It worked fine in 4.0

I'm on Parallels 5.0.9220, on OSX 10.6.2, on a last generation 15" Powerbook. My VM is running XP.

7. pistache

pistache Bit poster

Same for me : latest Parallels 5, winXP in the VM => no copy paste! VERY annoying...

8. fm@modelit.net

fm@modelit.net Bit poster

Copy/Paste (Clipboard) is Broken

The clipboard is not working here.

Stock iMac 27" Core i5 4GB
    Parallels Desktop 5.0.9308
    Windows XP Pro SP2 (English)

This is really annoying. I have restarted Windows XP, the Mac, reinstalled Parallels Tools, to no avail. The problem persists.

FM

9. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

Could you open the Windows Task Manager and check if the Parallels Control Center (prl_cc.exe or similar) is running? It should be among "your" processes (as opposed to admin processes). That's the Windows app that controls the copy-paste stuff among other things. Also check how you've mapped your keys in the Parallels settings (not the VM's settings).

10. Michael Phelps

Michael Phelps Bit poster

I have this problem, but in my case, it is copy/paste within the XP guest OS that is not working. When copying text from one WinWord doc to another WinWord doc, it freezes the two tasks for those docs, then creates two DUPLICATE tasks for those docs, all of which are locked up. Only solution is to restart the VM. Running Par 5.0 on a Snow Leopard iMac, 10.6.2

11. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

Does copy/paste work when invoked via the relevant menu entry (Edit -> Copy / Edit -> Paste) within e.g. Word?

12. Michael Phelps

Michael Phelps Bit poster

Copy/paste

Tried all forms of paste -- ctrl-V, right click to get the contextual menu, menu item selection. It may work a couple times in a document before it suddenly stops responding, and the task manager shows the duplicate tasks for the documents involved.

What I have not tried is copying and pasting within the SAME document. The problems I have run into have been in copying from one WinWord doc to another. I should try that just to see what happens. I'l let you know what I find.

13. GlynD

GlynD Junior Member

A bit of a late response but found this thread when searching for this problem (Parallels 5, Mac OS X 10.6 to Win 7). I've tried stopping prl_cc from the task manager and then restarting it and that so far has restored the copy/paste for a while. Not perfect, but better than nothing.