slow vista start up since upgrade to parallels 5

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by jlbrach, Nov 19, 2009.

1. jlbrach

jlbrach Member

When i was using 4.0 my vista would open and boot up and be ready to use very quickly...since i have upgraded to 5.0 my vista sits for about 5 minutes or more before the desktop shows up and the icons appear and are ready for use.....can anybody help me to fix this issue and return the vista start up to a more managable period of time?any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. vasilyz

vasilyz Parallels Developers

Have you upgraded Parallels Tools?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  3. jlbrach

jlbrach Member

i have not,what does that do and how do i do it?

4. jlbrach

jlbrach Member

let me once again explain my situation...i was using 4.0 with vista and when i opened it and ran vista it booted up quickly with no problem....since i have upgraded to 5.0 if i open parallels desktop it opens without problem and a black screen saying windows vista click to start appears...when i go ahead and to start vista boots up but gets to a point where there is nothing but a blank screen that remains blank for about 6 or 7 minutes until eventually the windows desktop appears and all of the icons appear....when i was using 4.0 i did not encounter this long wait for the windows desktop to appear and it to be functional...ultimately it works well but the length of time it takes to get to that point leads me to believe something is not right or something needs be changed...help would be greatly appreciated!..thank you ahead of time

5. vasilyz

Please send us a problem report at the moment when the VM is showing you a blank screen, and then post the number of the report here.

6. jlbrach

jlbrach Member

967447 is the number i generated when i sent problem report..as i said,everything works well after vista ultimately boots up but there is this period of time of about 6-7 minutes where i am waiting for it to boot up where there is a black screen right after windows begins to boot and before the desktop appears with the icons etc...

7. vasilyz

It looks like some component of PD couldn't resolve an alias file. Please try the solution from the kb article http://kb.parallels.com/en/6886. Let me know if this helps. If doesn't, please enable extended logging (go to Parallels Desktop->Preferences dialog, and tick off the "Use detailed log messages" checkbox on the General tab) then, start your VM and send a problem report once again.

8. jlbrach

jlbrach Member

i generated another number ,this time i did it exactly as the black screen was present as i was waiting for vista to open up the desktop...to repeat,parallels opens just fine....then vista starts up as usual but after a few seconds where the normal green screen appears saying opening vista i get a blank black screen that remains for several minutes until the vista desktop appears....983864

9. jlbrach

jlbrach Member

the solution about the alias does not seem to pertain to me because i do not get any message telling me i cannot open the virtual machine...

10. jlbrach

jlbrach Member

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

11. jlbrach

jlbrach Member

i did send another report,after making the changes you spoke of and with the enhanced error reporting as you asked....it is the last report i sent...sadly,i forgot to write down the error report number..i hope you have all the info you need to fix this issue!

12. jlbrach

jlbrach Member

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

13. jlbrach

jlbrach Member

I have read several other people who also are having the problem with a black screen appearing for several minutes after vista starts to boot and before the desktop appears and icons fill in etc....once again.....the parallels program opens properly....vista begins to boot up at first i get black screens saying vista on them and then i get the green vista boot up screen...up to this point all is fine..then suddenly the green screen turns black and sits like that for 5-7 minutes at which time the windows desktop appears and everything works properly....again,i did not have this situation in 4.0 and have gotten zero help regarding the problem

14. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

Regarding the question whether you'd installed Parallels tools, you write: "i have not,what does that do and how do i do it?"

Have you done that in the meantime? The Tools are a set of Parallels-specific drivers and programs that help Parallels work with Windows. It's quite safe and simple to install them: One your VM is running, go to the Parallels menu and select "Install Parallels tools" from the "Virtual Machine" menu. Sit back and relax; the machine will install the tools and restart itself.

Hope that helps.

15. jlbrach

jlbrach Member

I did indeed resinstall the tools and sadly nothing has changed..after the usual green windows welcome window appears where it would normally open to the desktop promptly ...in my case it is still switching to a black screen that remains for several minutes before the desktop appears and icons open etc...it is this black screen added step that is the problem and is a change from 4.0 where i only had the routine green welcome screen right into the desktop.....some help please!.....

16. jlbrach

jlbrach Member

17. jlbrach

jlbrach Member

to update,I was finally able to get the upgrade to windows 7 to work and now I find that the boot up time has been significantly improved so perhaps the 5.0 is optimized for windows 7 and that is the source of the issue I was having...I will continue to monitor it and report if anything changes!

18. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

How did you do it? Share the wealth, others might profit from your experience...

19. jlbrach

jlbrach Member

i did a lot of work to get windows 7 to download...had to remove check mark for the floppy disc which was apparently causing the unattend error....then i had to allocate more hard drive space to the virtual machine and then i had to uninstall the sound driver that was causing problems in the upgrade....it isnt perfect now and some settings have changed which i am still trying to figure out but it does work for the most part