Windows 7 Startup Repair When Configuring Parallels for the First Time

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by tdcool, Nov 21, 2009.

1. tdcool

tdcool Bit poster

I'm configuring a Boot Camp Partition of Windows 7 for the first time with Parallels 5, and I'm getting this message every time: "You need to manually continue the process of configuring the "My Boot Camp" virtual machine.

See the screenshot attached

Attached Files:

2. beta_lordzoner

beta_lordzoner Bit poster

I'm having the same problem.

3. JEikenberry

JEikenberry Bit poster

Looks to be a not an unusual problem...

I too am having problems getting Win7 bootcamp working with Parallels v5.

I did a clean install of Win7 Ultimate 64-bit and applied all of the updates to the OS. I've also ensured that my windows in activiated. This boots just fine.

When I try to create virtual machine under Parallels 5, everything goes smoothly in the setup. When I start the VM, Parallels puts up a window "Please wait while the virtual machine is being configured"... "Preparing to configure your virtual machine (step 1 of 4)..." This runs for quite some time and then stops. Then I get the message "You need to manually continue the process of configuring the "Windows 7" virtual machine" while in the background, Win7 is doing a startup repair. Any restart I do starts the whole process over again (Please wait while the virtual machine is being configured".

How can I break this cycle and get this running? Win7 under Parallels v4 worked just fine. Why can't V5?

Thanks for any feedback,
    John

Attached Files:

4. JEikenberry

JEikenberry Bit poster

Any ideas?

Hi -

I realize that it's been only a few days since I posted, but I'm stuck dual-booting until I can resolve this. Any experts from Parallels that could offer an idea or two?

Thanks!
    John

5. Kila

Kila Bit poster

Yep, same problem here..

I did have it all working fine, but I reinstalled Windows 7 (from the R.C. to retail) yesterday, and since then, I bluescreened when Parallels tried to load it up, so re-added my Boot Camp install to Parallels and it ran the "virtual machine is being configured" stuff. Then, as said in this thread, it stops and all I get is Windows 7 in repair mode.

I've read things on the internet about the bluescreen issue, and people said to use 1 virtual CPU instead of 2. Well, I tried that too and nothing..

6. Kila

Kila Bit poster

Same problem..

Tried using just 1 virtual CPU and same issue.

7. Kila

Kila Bit poster

I tried using just 1 virtual CPU, and still had the repair issue. I then put the RAM for Parallels up to 2GB and the RAM for Windows 7 to just 1GB, as well as just using 1 virtual CPU. It eventually works..!

I guess it maybe was the RAM - Windows 7 was using the 1GB I had allocated, and Parallels didn't have enough allocation (I only gave it 1GB over all).

Anyway, to those who are having trouble in this thread, allocate Parallels Desktop more RAM and make sure the ratio for Windows 7:parallels RAM isn't 1:1.

8. eltoko

eltoko Bit poster

I'm in the exakt same situation.

9. JEikenberry

JEikenberry Bit poster

Wow - that worked!

@Kila - many thanks for your entry. By setting Parallels settings to 3GB and Windows7 settings to 1GB & 1 CPU, it also worked for me. Cool!

Thanks! John

10. RodgerE

RodgerE Bit poster

Same problem

Windows 7 does not get past the repair screen. I tried the change RAM settings with no luck. Bootcamp runs fine native, but if I try running through Parallels 5 in Snow Leopard. I get the "repair startup screen" issue that others are having. Then when I boot though Bootcamp, Windows needs to reload the Windows Bootcamp drivers all over again. Does not appear the Parallels 5 is quite working with Windows. 7 yet. The it's a "Mac issue, it's Windows issue" is unacceptable! users are users and are customers too. Based on the post, looks like a good sample set/ usability testing conferms there is an issue.

11. JEikenberry

JEikenberry Bit poster

Also needed MacDrive...

Beyond the memory settings listed above, I also needed MacDrive installed on the Windows 7 side to avoid BSOD during boot up (main error was a ApplMnt or something similar).

12. JEikenberry

JEikenberry Bit poster

Hmmm... my last post doesn't look to be there.

Anyway, the other part of the solution that I needed was MacDrive. That, plus the RAM settings, seem to do the trick for me.

Good luck!

13. MacMan1

MacMan1 Bit poster

Can't create VM from bootcamp partition -- 27" iMac i5

Do you or anyone happen to be running Parallels 5 on a new i5 or i7 machine? I just want to see if that is the problem. I am having a similar issue. After creating a new VM from a bootcamp partition... During the configuration stage (1 of 4) the process starts then slowly creeps to a stop about a quarter of the way through. Nothing to do but "Force Quit". I am installing Vista 32-bit. Someone else has to have had this problem. Hopefully someone solved it.

I refuse to pay for customer support.

14. Will Taylor

Will Taylor Bit poster

THANK YOU. THANK YOU. THANK YOU!!!

I had tried everything, including 2.5 hours w/online support to no avail. After downloading & installing MacDrive trial, it worked like a charm 1st time.

So do we know if it will work from here on out (like...after the trial expires?), or will I have to additionally spend ANOTHER $30 and purchase MacDrive?

BTW... : ) ...what IS MacDrive and any idea why it's the key here?

Thanks a MILLION!!!

wmt

15. Jkirk3279

Jkirk3279 Junior Member

Round and Round...

Parallels Support has been, bluntly, passing the buck on this one.

I've been emailing with them for a week, and all they say is "Apple doesn't officially support Windows 7 for Boot Camp yet" : (therefore we don't support Boot Camp access either).

According to the error messages I read, it's a bad driver. If MacDrive on Windows 7 solves the problem, that suggests it's an incompatible driver in the general category of file reading, and MacDrive supercedes it.

I hope with this clue Parallels Support replicates the fix, and find a real solution. I'm not eager to pay for MacDrive either.

16. JEikenberry

JEikenberry Bit poster

MacDrive...

@wmt - unfortunately you need to keep MacDrive installed. I thought like you did and deinstalled MacDrive as I was nearing the end of the free trial. Immediately started getting BSOD ApplMnt on starting the Win7 virtual machine. So, I reinstalled MacDrive and things worked once again. So, I think you will need to buy MacDrive unless someone else knows of an alternative.

As to what MacDrive does, I'm no expert. My guess is that Windows startup needs to write something and under Parallels, this write needs to occur on the Mac HD rather than the Bootcamp drive. MacDrive allows that to happen and the boot to continue. That's my guess at least.

John

17. KamalA

KamalA Bit poster

Add me to the list

I'm experiencing this exact same problem. I haven't tried the MacDrive solution yet, though. I'm on a Core 2 Duo 24" iMac, so it isn't just limited to the i5 and i7 iMacs. I really want to use the Boot Camp partition so that I can still do any really heavy lifting in a native running of Windows.

18. Will Taylor

Will Taylor Bit poster

@JEikenberry - Yeah, I did the same and came to the same conclusion last night. Let's just say I did some searching, "obtained" a copy of MacDrive 7/8 and now have a "free workaround solution." I'm not propogating or promoting anything. I'm just saying I found a fix involving Macdrive that didn't cost me any extra $$$. :-\

19. MacMan1

MacMan1 Bit poster

I installed Macdrive.... Nothing

Nothing... I installed Macdrive 8 on Win7. Do i have to do anything special????

Recap:

1) Install Macdrive (in windows7)... then switch back to OSX
    2) Create new Parallels VM from Bootcamp Partion
    3) Wait for configuration to fail (or work?)
    4) Set ram to Parallels=3(or more)GB win7=1GB
    5) ReStart VM (It should work according to other posters)

It doesn't... WTF?

If i'm wrong about any of these steps please let me know.

20. WindyP

WindyP Bit poster

Noob Question...How do I update Win 7 RAM usage?

@Kila & @JEikenberry Ok, sorry noob question...I see easily how I update the amount of ram being allocated to the Parallels VM under Configure -> General. But how do I set Windows 7 to only see/use 1GB of the RAM? Are you referring to changing the page file?