Unable to create VM from Windows 7 Boot Camp Partition

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by James Beaumont, Nov 28, 2009.

1. James Beaumont

James Beaumont Junior Member

During Step 1 of 4 after starting the VM, a long delay then a windows screen saying "Your computer was unable to start" and Startup Repair is checking your system for problems... If problems are found, Startup Repair will fix them automatically. Your computer might restart several times during this process. etc.etc.

My Windows 7 partition boots fine under boot camp, and the Windows 7 install disk is unable to find any problems with the partitions. I am using Parallels 5.

Has anyone else got this problem, or know what I can try?

2. Will Taylor

Will Taylor Bit poster

I have the exact same problem. Just spent 2+ hours w/chat support who couldn't type English. Almost 3 hours later, no solution. He continued to blame it on the fact that Apple "doesn't fully support" Windows 7 for Bootcamp. It's running fine in BootCamp w/NO problems whatsoever.

3. James Beaumont

Good to know it's not just me. Looks like have to wait for windows 7 support then, unless anyone can confirm they have had this working with win7?

4. Will Taylor

Will Taylor Bit poster

Just out of curiosity, what system specs etc. are you running?

I've got:
    - 27" iMac
    - quad-core i5
    - 8GB RAM
    - Snow Leopard & Windows 7 64-bit (which I had to change registry to install from upgrade)

5. James Beaumont

Interestingly almost the same: 27" iMac; quad-core i7; 8GB RAM; OS X 10.6.2 and Windows 7 64-bit.

6. pastori

pastori Bit poster

Solution for This Problem

Hi,

I had the same exact problem, but I found a solution in this forum under the title "Windows 7 Startup Repair When Configuring Parallels for the First Time." The link below will take you to that discussion thread. I hope this helps. It worked for me.

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=96457

7. James Beaumont

That's fixed it, many thanks! I set Parallels to use 3GB and my Boot Camp VM to use 1GB and the VM got created fine. With this and Aero only working with 1CPU, seems a pretty buggy release though.

8. Will Taylor

Will Taylor Bit poster

I had adjusted those settings before with no change, but after I installed MacDrive, everything works like a charm.

I still don't know what MacDrive is or what it does though : S

Anyone know if this is a one-time fix w/the demo or if I'll actually have to purchase the full version?

Thanks,
    will