Serial port communication

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ecarrera, Oct 8, 2009.

1. ecarrera

ecarrera Bit poster

Hello,

I'm trying to get WinDBG to work to remotely debug one VM from another over serial. I've read the old threads about it, where some people seemed to get it to work, not without trouble, but not giving many details of how they did it.

My current problem is already with the setup of the serial port. It simply appears to be the case that I can't add a functioning serial port to a VM. I have a simple Windows VM where I've configured a serial port, yet can't seem to get it to work under windows. While windows detects a serial port I get all kind of problems, starting from a conflict of resources to Windows simply not being able to start the serial port driver.

Is there anything that I might be overlooking? do I need any special drivers for the serial port? I would hope that if I did Parallels tools would take care of that.

Hopefully somebody has managed to get it to work and can point me in the right direction.

Best regards,
    --
    Ero

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Strange... what version of Parallels Desktop is running?

3. ecarrera

ecarrera Bit poster

I've recently tried again with the latest 5.0.9220. Same problems. Although installing a 2nd COM port actually leads to having a working one in the Windows VM (the 2nd one works, the one added 1st is always showing up as failing to be properly configured)
    So, apparently I managed to get two serial ports working but still windbg won't be able to connect. It seems to try to connect and judging from the activity indicators in the Parallels GUI, there seems to be some sort of communication between the two VMs, still the connection doesn't seem to ever be made.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.