Change Windows app overlay easily

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ChristopherB, Nov 23, 2009.

1. ChristopherB

ChristopherB Member

[​IMG]
    If you are like me you want the overlay that is on Windows apps (or maybe other guest OS shared apps) to reflect the OS. I personally hate the two red lines overlay that universally means "PAUSE" and tells me nothing other than it is a parallels app. And that is only true for users that know what that is...

Here is how to do it. It is simple and I have included two non-copyright infringing styles for your new overlays. All artwork is original and works 100%. Keep in mind that you are editing files so do this at your own risk (but it is easily corrected and works regardless)

CLOSE Parallels first:

Find the Parallels Desktop.app file. It should be in the OSX Applications folder. Right-Click it and select "Show Package Contents". You will see a folder called "Contents". Open it and you will see a folder called "Resources". There are 5 files we need to replace. WinAppFav-Mask.png, WinAppFav-Over.icns, WinAppRun-Mask.png, WinAppRun-Over.icns and shared_apps_documents.icns I have attached the files to replace in a ZIP file Parallelsoverlaysbigsmall.zip to this post. Extract this file and copy it's contents into the folder called "Resources". These are just graphics files and cannot execute or have malware or anything of the like. Close the window with the open "Parallels Desktop.app" file. This has removed the Parallels overlay (after one final step later). Of course you could make your own overlay if you edit the .ins and mask files.

You will have to repeat this if Parallels the app is updated. Anyone want to write an install script?

You also have to delete the contents of the ~/Windows Applications folder AND empty the trash now. Drag the Application folder off the dock and let go. It will disappear and be recreated when Parallels next starts.

Dock:
    [​IMG]

Document Types:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  2. jtenenb

jtenenb Member

I followed these instructions to the letter, and yet that pause...I mean parallels icon overlay over my application icons when the application folders are recreated when the VM restarts. Any suggestions from those who were successful?

UPDATE:

I was able to get this to work by going to the individual VM File, right clicking, click show package contents, and moving BOTH the Windows 7 Applications and Windows Applications folders to the trash. I think this step is missing in the above instructions as they seem to suggest you can just delete the shortcuts found in the Applications folder.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009