Installing software using Parallels and OSX

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Peter Griffiths, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Peter Griffiths

Peter Griffiths Bit poster

Hi there,
    I am very new to Parallels and have managed to install Windows XP on my mac running OSX 10.6.2. I really need to install a program called Solid Edge, which is a piece of CAD software, for an assignment which is due next Tuesday.

Every time I try and install the program, it comes up with an error then it says that it cannot read the installation file. Basically, the program comes in one file, which is an EXE, which you then run and it unloads its installation files. It unpacks the initial EXE fine, but then when I try to install it fails.

There is an option for the program to open the files to a temporary folder and then to delete them after it has finished installing, or for you to specify the folder and keep the files so you can delete them when you want. I have tried both options to no avail. These are the only options that you are given, so I don't know what else to try. I got my friend to install the program on his Windows Vista PC and it worked fine so I know that the installer does work elsewhere.

I hope someone can help me!
    Peter

2. ddahle1970

ddahle1970 Member

From where are you trying to install? Is the file on the VM or are you trying to install from a folder on the Mac side?

3. I-che

I-che Pro

Peter, you can try to disable shared profile on Windows XP VM and try to install your CAD program after it.