Using Bonjour for printing

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by fr8d, Sep 22, 2009.

1. fr8d

fr8d Bit poster

Hi everyone,

I wasn't able to print decently using the default laser printer under XP in parallels in order to print on my Brother MFC-7440N installed under Mac OS. I hence turned to Bonjour printing. The result is much better as I don't get any weird characters printed out (that's what would happen using the default printer method... Some accented characters with some fonts wouldn't be printed right).

My new problem now is that I have to reconfigure Bonjour printing everytime I restart Windows XP under Parallels (for some reason after every restart, I can launch a print job but it is never executed... I can still see the printer in the windows control panel but it just doesn't do anything. The work around I found is to delete the printer and re-add it using the Bonjour utility). Is there any way to have this permanently work?

Thanks in advance,

Fred.

2. Anupama A

Anupama A Pro

3. fr8d

fr8d Bit poster

Well after much testing, I can say it's a firewall issue. I couldn't get AVG to let Bonjour though so I disabled AVG firewall and use XP firewall and it works even when I restart the VM...

4. JerryD

JerryD Bit poster

This worked for me!

5. txrpls

txrpls Member

I followed the article instructions, but still get the same message with Window 7 64 using Bonjour. Unable to install printer.

6. I-che

I-che Pro

7. txrpls

txrpls Member

Thanks for the link. That worked. I did install the printers the local on the machine setting up IP addresses. It is just a lot easier with Bonjour.