Windows 2000 crashes with beta 2

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by brucehobbs, Dec 23, 2006.

1. brucehobbs

brucehobbs Junior Member

After installing beta 2 on top of 1970, launching a Windows 2000 VM resulted in a crash. Switching to safe mode, ignoring recognition of new hardware and installing Parallels Tools also crashed. Restarting again in safe mode no longer recognized new hardware and Parallels Tools installed successfully. Restarting normally crashed shortly after logging in. Subsequent restart crashes before login completes.

Pretty much the same sequence of events occurred with beta 1 and forced me to revert to 1970.

No problems with Enterprise Server 2003.

Suggestions?

2. jonzg

jonzg Junior Member

Hi, I am having the same problem with windows 2000. I also have XP and it works perfectly.

3. brucehobbs

brucehobbs Junior Member

Windows 2000 and beta 2--NOT?

Giving the "roaring silence" of comments on this thread, I guess our only conclusion can be that this beta is not going to work with Windows 2000. :-(

4. Liong612

Liong612 Junior Member

My Windows 2000 is fine!

No problem at all

5. brucehobbs

brucehobbs Junior Member

Now if we could just figure out what's different. Too bad the Parallels support folks haven't been able to analyze any of the crash reports or offer any suggestions. Got any ideas?

6. brucehobbs

brucehobbs Junior Member

Still no improvement with beta 3. Guess I'll have to revert to 1970 unless someone has a suggestion and/or workaround.

7. auratus

auratus Member

Just as an fyi my Win2K install has worked fine through all 3 Parallels betas on my MacPro. Maybe try a safemode boot and uninstall tools if you can get that far with it?

8. jp20r

jp20r Junior Member

is it working for you now ?
    I've had same problems as you till today. last week upgraded from 1970 to 3106. W2k didnt work. uninstalled, reinstalled, and so on. then i tried w/ XP and it worked but i coulnd figure out how to retrieve my applications and documents from W2k. I used then Transporter, which within the XP screen opened the W2k screen (?) but w/ a very low screen resolution. everything worked until i tried to go on Internet ( IE and Firefox), and once again it froze... so im back to 1970 and everything works. I sent 3 messages to Parallels Team: no answer

9. brucehobbs

brucehobbs Junior Member

I can startup in safe mode. Tried installing tools from there, but still ended up with a crash after restarting to complete the tools install. Doesn't seem like uninstalling tools would improve the situation. I've already rolled back to 1970, but if the problem persists with the next beta I've give that a try.

BTW, one other person who was experiencing the same problem with beta 1 was finally able to take enough screen shots so she could see an error message regarding a problem with a driver file. She also found a forum posting regarding that file so we both sort of expected that a subsequent beta would address the problem. So far that doesn't seem to be the case.

10. brucehobbs

brucehobbs Junior Member

I've reported the problem with each beta, but still haven't heard anything from the Parallels team. If anyone has a suggestion in addition to the one regarding uninstalling tools from safe mode I'm all ears.

11. bob_nugget

bob_nugget Junior Member

Hey, I'm having the same issues with beta 2 and beta 3 - beta 1 worked fine though, so you could try that?

I'm running 2k Pro with SP4 + SR1 - all updates installed.

12. brucehobbs

brucehobbs Junior Member

I had the same problem with beta 1, too. I've got SP4. What's SR1? Can you tell I'm not a Windoze guy? ;-)

13. bob_nugget

bob_nugget Junior Member

Hey, SR1 is Security Roll-up 1, just a lot of windows patches rolled into one that MS released when they decided not to do an SP5. I doubt it would make any difference here though. If you have all of the latest Windows update patches, you should have it installed.

I've just downgraded to Beta 1 and Windows appears to be working fine again - I had to reinstall the old Beta 1 tools.

Good luck,
    Josh

14. ericchiu

ericchiu Bit poster

er.. i got beta 3 install.. then a fressh 2000 install.. constant crash

15. brucehobbs

brucehobbs Junior Member

Still crashing with 3120

Installed the latest beta. Still crashing. Tried reinstalling Windows from Safe Mode. Made no difference. Back to 1970. :-(

16. Periastron

Periastron Bit poster

I'm having the same problems with WIndows 2000 Professional. As a trial user seeing the software for the first time, I must say that this has dampened my initial enthusiasm somewhat. :(

17. nas

nas Bit poster

Had the same problem upon upgrate to beta 3 with a previously operable Win 2000 server install. After booting with upgraded parallels the video card was not recognized. While fiddling with getting the driver working Parallels crashed. I tried starting the OS again, but this time did not attempt to install a driver. Immidiately installed new Parallels tools and replied yes to the required reboot. After restarting the system, the video driver seemed to be installed correctly and Parallels didn't crash this time. Hope this helps.

18. bob_nugget

bob_nugget Junior Member

Still doesn't work in RC2 3150

Yeah, still doesn't work in 3150, same old bugs as before. VMWare here I come!

Josh

19. allenranger2

allenranger2 Bit poster

I've started off with version 1970 and am now on 3150 and have had Windows 2000 the entire time. The only problem I've noticed is that Windows seems to have gotten slower, from starting up to actually running. I know that 2000 should be much faster than XP, but I think it may have slowed down after I installed SP4.

20. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Could you give more details about your test case please?