Geoworks ?

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by slegge, Jun 6, 2008.

1. slegge

slegge Member

For old time sake, I'd love to get a copy of Geoworks (aka PC/GEOS) running in a Parallels image.

Unfortunately, with no floppy drive I wouldn't be able to install it from the original installation floppies on my Mac. Does anyone know how I would go about installing something like that?

Also, in case Geoworks doesn't run under XP (which I own legally), does anyone know where I can find Parallels images for older versions of DOS and Windows? Even Windows 95 might be ok.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Jay Levitt

Jay Levitt Member

It'd be fun to try, but I think the odds are way against you:

1. Do you even know if your floppies are still good? They tend to have a limited lifespan.

2. PC/GEOS took advantage of every possible hardware quirk you could imagine - which is why it was so incredibly fast on such incredibly slow computers. It was very, very, VERY touchy. The thing was written in what GeoWorks called "object-oriented assembly"; I think they delighted in how paradoxical that sounds!

Using an IBM PS/1, which was one of their first target platforms, I was able to crash Promenade (the PC/GEOS-based PS/1 version of AOL) until very close to release, simply by banging my fingers against the keyboard randomly. (I called it "hyperchat".) It would fail spectacularly, drawing randomly-angled vector lines all over the screen.

The odds of it working on any modern hardware at all, let alone a virtual PC, seem slim! You might have better chances getting GEOS itself working on a C64 emulator.. :) Good luck...

3. Jay Levitt

Jay Levitt Member

4. slegge

slegge Member

5. rmansfield

rmansfield Member

Need to install GEOS in plain old DOS. Is a DOS installation possible in Parallels?

I need to install GEOS for more than nostalgic reasons. I have some old files in GEOS format that I need to retrieve.

I have Vista installed in Parallels. I tried installing New Deal Geos from a CD last night, but the installation fails. It's evidently not compatible with Vista.

Anyway, GEOS doesn't even need Windows. It will install straight to DOS. Is there anyway just to install DOS without Windows in Parallels?

And if so, does anyone know where to get a downloadable copy? Perhaps DR DOS?

Thanks,

Rick

6. ddahle1970

ddahle1970 Member

Try DOSBox and Dapplegrey - that may be an easier solution.