Unable to join windows7 to domain

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by RoieM, Nov 16, 2009.

1. RoieM

RoieM Bit poster

good morning,

i have installed windows7 on my macbook pro, using Parallels (4 then 5), and i'm unable to join my work station to my Win2008 domain.

the computer registers that he has successfully joined "Domain Name", but the gives the error massage:
    Changing the Primary Domain DNS name of this computer to "" failed.
    The name will remain "Domain Name".
    The error was:
    The remote procedure call dailed and did not execute.

a computer accound is beeing created for the computer in AD, but when i try login in to the Workstation after rebout, i can only logon locally.

I have installed a windwos7 workstation on a pc, it works fine.
    i have installed a windwos XP on paralles, works fine too.
    i have re installed a new VM of windows 7 on parallels, doesn't work neither.

does any one know how to solve this issue?

Roie.

2. RoieM

RoieM Bit poster

has any one else had this issue?

3. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

I'm afraid that it is trouble to make it work under Shared Networking.

Please try Bridged

4. RoieM

RoieM Bit poster

not working

i did, got the same errorr massage.

i am able to conect to the domain by NSlookup, PING, RDP And SMTP.
    i am also able to access the server files.

i'm unable to set outlook (not able to conect to server) and unable to join domain, not even on Bridge Mode.

5. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

It should work in Bridged, there should be nothing may block this. May be, try to disable Parallels Internet security (although it is unlikely that it is it who blocks this).

Please ask your Network Administrator for help - I believe there is some typo while joining domain

6. RoieM

RoieM Bit poster

i'm the network administrator. i will try disabling PIS, and let you know.

like i saied, i have insereted into the domain, sevrel Windows7 & Xp Stations,
    i also installed VPC on a Windwos Station, and it works fine too.

7. mavsfan

mavsfan Junior Member

same problem

I have same issue. Unable to join computer to domain. I am able to ping the server and I have internet access. The specific error message: Active Directory Domain Controller (AD DC) for the domain could not be contacted. Any help appreciated.

8. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

We have discovered recently a problem with time synchronization of Parallels Desktop 5.0.9220: it is a functionality of Parallels Tools that does synchronization of time and time-zone between Guest OS inside Parallels and Mac OS X host. According to the information I've found in internet it may affect the system that way.

This is already fixed internally and will be available in the nearest updated. Unfortunately I can't provide any workaround.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  9. mavsfan

mavsfan Junior Member

solved

I found the answer elsewhere in these forums, hopefully this will help others. The solution was to change the Networking setting under Virtual Machine to Bridged Ethernet. Worked instantly.

10. RudolfB

RudolfB Bit poster

Paralles Windows 7 and Win 2003 Server Domain

hi everybody,

here's my problem: Parallels 5.0.9344 on a iMac Core 2 Duo with OS X 10.5.4. I am able to join the Win 2003 Domain but cannot see any of the computers within the domain including the server itself. Therefore I am not able to access the files on the server. My VM is configured bridged networking and I have static IPs all over the network. Can anyone help? Thanx a lot!

11. mavsfan

mavsfan Junior Member

Culprit is win server 2003 group policies

It has taken us months to get to the bottom of this issue, thanks to microsoft staying strangely silent on the problem. My earlier post in this thread did not include what happened afterwards, and that is when you reboot after joining the domain, many services are not available. After many months we have been able to determine that it is not the act of joining a win 7 computer to the domain that causes myriad issues, it is when you reboot after joining the domain that win server 2003 applies group policies, and something unknown to us in these group policies conflicts with win 7. And the kicker is that once these group policies have been applied to the new computer, there is no going back, you will never get services back to normal without doing a complete re-format /re-install of the OS.

To get around this, you could disable group policies on your server 2003, or if you're not sure if they should be disabled, create a separate folder in the Active Directory/Computers area that has NO group policies applied. Then after adding the new win 7 computer to the domain, BEFORE rebooting that computer go to AD and move the new computer from the default Computers list to the folder with no group policies. Once the new computer is out of the default Computers list it is safe to reboot, and all services should continue to be available.

Upgrading to server 2008 would also be a fix if that is an option.

12. RudolfB

RudolfB Bit poster

after a long try-out-session, I finally have a solution that I wanted to share:
    you have to map at least one of the network devices over the dos command line, could look like this:
    L:\>net use L: \\192.168.xxx.xxx\shared_device_name /USER:DOMAINNAME\username password
    After you have done this, your mapped drive will appear in the win explorer and you will be able to see and map all other devices using the windows explorer. I restarted the mac and parallels and everything works fine. YESS!!

13. ShannonV

ShannonV Bit poster

Found the solution on VMWare forum

After a much bloodied forehead. @tcetin's fix at vmware forums worked for me:
    http://communities.vmware.com/message/1496826#1496826

"I implemented the below registry fix as described in the Microsoft support page: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=899148 Important Windows Vista does not require a hotfix. However, you must follow these steps to modify the registry on Windows Vista-based computers.

1. Click Start, click Run, type# regedit, and then click OK
    2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Rpc
    3. Click the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
    4. Type Server2003NegotiateDisable as the name of the new DWORD Value
    5. Right-click Server2003NegotiateDisable, and then click Modify.
    6. In the Value Data box, type 1, and then click OK.

This fix is for Vista computers and the registry subkey "Rpc" did not exist in the described location in Windows 7. First I added the "Rpc" subkey and created the DWORD value as described.

After rebooting the image I was able to add the computer into the domain. I hope this will help to the other suffering from the same error."

I simply had to come and post it here because I suffered much angst thanks to this problem.

Cheers!
    Shannon VanWagner
    humans-enabled.com

14. DuongD

DuongD Bit poster

i'm a same its, win7 can't join domain..

15. DuongD

DuongD Bit poster

(AD DC) for the domain could not be contacted

16. StephenA

StephenA Member

THANK YOU! I just had this problem and the below worked for me :)

"I implemented the below registry fix as described in the Microsoft support page: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=899148 Important Windows Vista does not require a hotfix. However, you must follow these steps to modify the registry on Windows Vista-based computers.

1. Click Start, click Run, type# regedit, and then click OK
    2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Rpc
    3. Click the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
    4. Type Server2003NegotiateDisable as the name of the new DWORD Value
    5. Right-click Server2003NegotiateDisable, and then click Modify.
    6. In the Value Data box, type 1, and then click OK.

This fix is for Vista computers and the registry subkey "Rpc" did not exist in the described location in Windows 7. First I added the "Rpc" subkey and created the DWORD value as described.

After rebooting the image I was able to add the computer into the domain. I hope this will help to the other suffering from the same error."

I simply had to come and post it here because I suffered much angst thanks to this problem.

Cheers!
    Shannon VanWagner
    humans-enabled.com[/QUOTE]