Parallels Tools install problems & Win 98 SE

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by KiernanP, Jun 27, 2009.

1. KiernanP

KiernanP Bit poster

I purchased Parallels Desktop for Mac 4 online as a download, so I have no CD for Parallels.

I do have my install CD for Win 98. I have been able to install Win 98. It's running but I cannot install the Parallels Tools. I have tried about 20 times. It seems to expect me to have a physical CD for Parallels. Which I don't because I bought Parallels as a download.

So at this point I have Win 98 on my iMac 24" 3.06ghz sitting here like a dinosaur on a spaceship. I only want this working so that I can use my very expensive and still very functional OED Encyclopedia on my Mac instead of on an ancient IBM Thinkpad 600. I also want to use my Olympus ES-10 film/slide Scanner which Olympus stopped supporting after Win 98 (also works fine on Thinkpad.) Parallels would be a solution for both, but so far it's been pretty much a waste of time and energy. I had such high hopes. But if I cannot share files between the Win & Mac.....

Anyone have any suggestions or can you point me to the correct articles/forums that have relevant information? BTW, not a newbie at problem solving on my own. Thanks

2. Bopanna I G

Bopanna I G Hunter

3. KiernanP

KiernanP Bit poster

Thanks for that, I have done all that and all is just fine until I get to:

"When you finally get to the Windows 98 desktop, install Parallels tools
    15.1 From Apple's menu bar, navigate to Devices | CD/DVD-ROM | Connect Image...
    15.2 Navigate to /Library/Parallels/Tools, select vmtools.iso and click Open. The tools should then install automatically"

I have "Library/Parallels" contains only "Explorer" which is empty. A search of my system shows that vmtools.iso does not exist. So Parallels Tools SHOULD install but does not because it cannot find that which it is seeking--vmtools.iso.

Other people on these forums were asking to be sent vmtools.iso by email to solve the same problem. Could you please send it to me as well. Thank you. Appreciate the help on sunny Sunday.

4. KiernanP

KiernanP Bit poster

I know it's a holiday weekend but if anyone is out there who has a clue on the following problem, I would really love to hear from you!

"I have "Library/Parallels" contains only "Explorer" which is empty. A search of my system shows that vmtools.iso does not exist. So Parallels Tools SHOULD install but does not because it cannot find that which it is seeking--vmtools.iso. "

Thanks

5. Nick Baker

Nick Baker Bit poster

VM tools and WIN98SE

I am having the same problem the file vmtools.iso does not exist, is this a function of Parallels 4 and if so what is the fix???????????

Nick

6. ChristophK

ChristophK Bit poster

I am trying to run 5.0 with Windows 98. The tools are in library/Parallels/Tools where ther is a file called prl-tools-mac.iso. I guess that's the one. Problem is, Windows 98 is not listed on Parallels website as supported system for the tools...

PS: I am having problems with the graphic cards driver, anything else than VGA won't work...

7. DaleE

DaleE Member

Well the instructions posted in the link are for Parallels version 3 which apparently did support Windows 98. Parallels has not included a full set of Windows 98 tools in Parallels Desktop version 4 or version 5.

Therefor this is wrong.
    15.2 Navigate to /Library/Parallels/Tools, select vmtools.iso and click Open. The tools should then install automatically
    15.3 The sound drivers must be installed manually from C:\Program Files\Parallels\Parallels Tools after Parallels Tools has been installed.
    15.4 The video drivers might install automatically or need to be installed manually from the vmtools.iso image at D:\Drivers\Video\Win9x. You should then be able to adjust the screen resolution and color depth to something besides 640x480x16.
    I have not tried installing tools from version 3 but would like to know in device manager exactly what devices installed.

8. Silversorcerer

Silversorcerer Member

98 se looks worse than DOS.

Using PD 5 for 98se might not be worth it. I can connect to the PD tools disk, but some kind of file .dll is missing so the connected CD image is useless. Trying to install the drivers manually from the connected CD also did not work. I looks very wrong. NO sound and the device panel in Control panels has more questions than I do. I've seen 98 looking almost as good as OS 9, but not with PD. It's barely running here.

Any suggestions?