Deleted snapshot and now get PRL_ERR_DISK_FILE_OPEN_ERROR

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Omar Mussa, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Omar Mussa

Omar Mussa Bit poster

I deleted a snapshot and now I'm getting the following error: PRL_ERR_DISK_FILE_OPEN_ERROR

I get this error when I try to start ANY snapshots that are on this VM. I'm just using the Parallels GUI -- not using any API calls to run Parallels -- I haven't seen any other issues like this in the forums. I have no idea how to fix this issue. Please help!

2. Ynot

Ynot Pro

Please, create a problem report when you get this error (Help->Report a problem in menu) and post report ID here.

3. Omar Mussa

Omar Mussa Bit poster

The report is 1290362. I realized some more details that I need to add. In particular, I was deleting a snapshot that was the parent to a child snapshot node that I had manually archived (moved) to an external disk because I don't have enough disk space on my Mac to keep all of my snapshots (21). I had labelled the child snapshot with (archived) in the snapshot name to prevent myself from doing this kind of a thing but somehow did not notice that when I went to delete the parent snapshot.

4. Omar Mussa

Omar Mussa Bit poster

Wow, a colleague with Parallels installed and I compared a bunch of files and managed to find the root problem (besides the fact that I tried to delete the root node of the child snapshots that did not exist on disk). In the DiskDescriptor.xml file, I found an XML attribute next to the item I had tried to delete that was in the 'Snapshots' section of the file:
    <Shot Operation="DeleteSnapshot">

When I deleted the attribute (so that the file just said '<Shot>' everything went back to normal (did not even need to restart Parallels). I'm 100% able to use Parallels again.

I have to say that I would probably have never tried to delete that snapshot had I been able to see the full 'name' of the snapshot from the snapshot manager. PLEASE make it possible to see more than 8 characters and a ... --> Without the full name of the snapshots visible, the manager is really difficult to use --> even for 'advanced' users who are going around the typical worklow.

5. I-che

I-che Pro

Omar, thank you for sharing information. As for snapshots issue, I have created respective feature request.