Faulty Error Message - Other VMs Running?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by mikler, Dec 6, 2009.

1. mikler

mikler Bit poster

Hi!

Newbie help greatly appreciated

I am running Parallels-5 on my Mac with Snow Leopard.

Everytime I try and run Windows on Parallels, I get the following error message:

"Starting this virtual machine may slow down other virtual machines running on your mac...."

I don't have any other Virtual Machines!!! - I have done a search for .pvm files and nothing comes up - Heeeeelp!

Any assistance/comments great appreciated.

Thanks

Mik

2. sandro

sandro Parallels Developers

seems you haven't enough RAM for comfortable PD 5.0 work. Could you please send us problem report (Help->Report a Problem) and post here it id?

3. mikler

mikler Bit poster

Hi Alexander

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Note that the error is falsely reporting that there is another VM running, not a memory problem.

Note that I am running a MacBook Pro with 4GB - its maximum. Snow Leopard and Parallels 5.

Please advise

Thanks

Michael

4. sandro

Hello Michael,

Please send us problem report as i requested at my first post. We need to take a look on VM and host configuration in order to try to figure out problem.

5. mikler

mikler Bit poster

My apologies - I did send the report but have lost the ID

Can you look it up from my email address? (mler at iname dot com)

Or should I resubmit

Thanks

Michael

6. sandro

Michael.

I think it'll be simplify to send report one more time. Could you please do?

7. mikler

mikler Bit poster

Report ID 1261461

Hi Alexander - sorry for problems

I have submitted another report: ID 1261461

Kind regards

Michael

8. sandro

Hi Michael,

I'm sorry but need one more report from you - please send it when your VM window is active (opened). At last one absent information about VM configuration but required in order to try to figure out problem. Sorry i forgot to clarify this at once.

9. sandro

Michael,
    in common we understood problem. Seems this error began to appear after you apply 2 Gb of RAM for your XP VM. Whether it's really required? Could you please to try to find VM memory value which won't cause this warning on VM start (in order to change VM memory: shutdown Windows; then go to VM configuration editor, select Memory preferences tab and specify required value)?

10. Trefptyc

Trefptyc Parallels Developers

Michael,

please could you generate report while the VM window would be active. This is required for us to read the VM detailed configuration. Please specify the new report number.

Unfortunately, we have no in-house reproduction for the bug. Please could you assist us and carry out 2 simple tests?

1) Go to Parallels Desktop -> Preferences -> Memory. Choose "manually" method of setting the total memory and move the slider to 1500MB. Set the operating memory size for your XP VM equal to 1GB. Do you see the slowdown warning message?
    2) Restore automatic settings (changed on the previous step) and try to find the critical size of the VM memory when the slowdown warning appears (we are sure that 1GB is OK and 2GB leads to the error message you see).

Thank you in advance!

Anna,
    senior core developer
    Parallels Ltd

11. mikler

mikler Bit poster

Hi Alexander

I submitted a report with the VM (windows) but with nothing actually running in Windows.

ID 1286098
    ========

Thanks for your help

Michael

12. mikler

mikler Bit poster

Hi!

Annas solution did get rid of the problem. Thanks very much for all your help

Michael

13. mikler

mikler Bit poster

Hi Anna

Yes - your solution did work.

Please can you explain what the two settings are so that I can understand what the problem was?

Thanks very mucxh for all your help!

Michael

14. Clyde Henderson

Clyde Henderson Bit poster

I had this same error message showing up on my 4GB MacBook pro but not on my 4GB iMac.

In checking their setup info I found that both had memory in the Virtual Machine>Configure>General set to 2048 but the iMac had Parallels>Preferences>Memory set to Automatic and the MacBook Pro had it set to Manual with a value of 2048. Changing the Preferences to Automatic caused the error message to disappear.

Ron