CentOS 5.4 and window resize

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by geychaner, Oct 29, 2009.

1. geychaner

geychaner Junior Member

Several other people have posted about similar problems to this one, but anyway...
    When running CentOS 5.4, the guest screen resolution doesn't adjust to the window size properly. I'm pretty sure (but not completely sure) that this worked in CentOS 5.3.

2. jrock2004

jrock2004 Member

Did you install parallel tools?

3. geychaner

geychaner Junior Member

Yes, of course. And the Linux desktop still doesn't automatically resize to fit the window or full screen properly.

4. ToddF

ToddF Bit poster

I'm running into the same issue. My host setup is a Parallels for Mac 5.0.9220 build on 64-bit Snow Leopard.

CentOS 5.4 x86 32-bit will not go larger than 800x600. I have Parallels Tools installed on the Guest. I've played with xorg.conf to no avail.

When should we expect a fix for this? Thanks!

Sincerely,
    Todd Fiala

5. Mark Szpakowski

Mark Szpakowski Bit poster

I'm also running Parallels 5.0.9220 on a MacBook Pro, with Snow Leopard 10.6.2, with CentOS 5.4 as guest OS.

In CentOS, System:Administration:Display menu show resolution at 800x600: the only other option is 640x480 (nostaligia, yes!). System:preferences:Screen Resolution shows 970x746 (the maximum). Resizing the Parallels window does not resize the CentOS display resolution. I would like to work with a more reasonable screen size/resolution in CentOS.

I do have Parallels Tools installed (was not easy - that's another story!).

6. EricO

EricO Junior Member

Care to tell us how you got the tools installed?

Editing xorg.conf to add in extra resolutions might help, but keep a backup copy of xorg.conf in case you need to use single user mode to repair your X configuration.

I was evaluating vmware and parallels in tandem for Centos 5.4 and Fedora 12 (and both sucked) Actually I think I might have managed to install the tools too but my vmware trial is now dead and I can't find my notes. Overall I'm pretty sure that both were botched rush releases for Windows 7 and neither is really suitable for the latest version of Linux. Both seem to have unresponsive developers too.

7. Mark Szpakowski

Mark Szpakowski Bit poster

Parallels Tools, CentOS window doesn't resize

The key thing with the Parallels Tools installation is that the Parallels Tools "CD" gets mounted in noexec mode: you have to copy its contents to a folder on disk, and then run the install.

When you resize the Parallels window with which the CentOS screen lives, most of the time the CentOS screen does not resize to match the window, and the default resolutions seem to be 640x480 and 800x600 (default two decades ago :).

What seems to help: go to the System menu, and then Administration : Display, and under the Hardware tab, configure the Monitor Type: Parallels Monitor. If you check "Show all available monitors" you might find your own monitor if you're lucky (I did not find the MacBook Pro listed), so I went back to Generic LCD Display and chose my LCD resolution.

Under System : Preferences : Screen Resolution, there another place to set "Default Settings".

The auto-resizing when window is resized seems to work once in a blue moon, especially if that's the first thing you do after starting up the VM.

I'm hoping for a bug-fix release soon....

8. firewing1

firewing1 Bit poster

I had the same type of problem in Ubuntu 9.10 under Parallels Desktop for Mac 5 and shutting down the machine, clicking "Configure" and then increasing the video memory to 12MB (up from the default 3MB) solved the problem.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  9. Geoffrey Balleisen

Geoffrey Balleisen Bit poster

Firewing1's suggestion did the trick for me with CentOS 5.5. Thanks!