Vista hangs on "Windows Desktop Update" after upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jake.biesinger, Jan 11, 2008.

1. jake.biesinger

jake.biesinger Bit poster

Hi.

I just upgraded my Virtual Machine (not bootcamp) from Windows XP to Vista Business Edition. I successfully "prepare[d] for upgrade" and installed Vista. After installation, a small box came up that said that Vista was "Setting up personalized settings for: Windows Desktop Update." It's been sitting there for hours. I rebooted and after showing the nice round Windows icon, the same popup came out and here we are again. Lots of reboots, always back to the same place. The mouse is responsive and the circle hourglass comes up when mousing over the pop-up. Ctrl-Alt-Del leads to the Vista "what do you want to do" screen. The only account (which is automatically logged into) is an Administrator account. It didn't ask me to set up any ohters, but that was the one in XP. Safe Mode loads A-Okay.

Still hanging when I try to open it up normally...

Any thoughts?

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Have you tried zapping Parallels tools while in safe mode? If that fixes it, it could be the reason for the conflict, re-install them when you get in normally it works.

3. ehammett

ehammett Bit poster

Having the same issue

Having the exact same issue. Did you ever find a resolution to this problem? Thanks.

4. bontfaen

bontfaen Junior Member

Was this resolved? If so, how? I'm getting a similar problem with Parallels 5 running on Snow Leopard 10.6.2.

Mike