Is there any way to set preferences for creating images?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Thomas Helsel, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Thomas Helsel

Thomas Helsel Bit poster

Whenever I create a new image, either by installing from a drive or by cloning an existing image, the newly created image launches in Coherence mode and with Shared Applications enabled. Since I neither like nor use either feature, is there a way to set some default so that, whenever I create a new image, it uses my own preferred settings? Yes, I create a lot of images....

Thanks!
    Tom

2. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

Parallels Desktop has a virtual machine Templates feature.
    You can create a template at any point (say, blank image) and then deploy it many times.

Did you evaluate it for your purpose?
    Or you're searching for something more then that?

Regards,
    Max

3. Thomas Helsel

Thomas Helsel Bit poster

That would likely work in the case of cloning, but I need to use numerous different OSes with Parallels (different flavors of Windows and Linux), which would mean, if I understand correctly, that I'd have to have a template for each OS. That'd get kind of unwieldy...

4. Thomas Helsel

Thomas Helsel Bit poster

So, I tried this by creating a template. This solves my problem of the shared applications, but still, the first time I run a new image created from a template, it launches in Coherence mode. Turns out that this is the same behavior as if I'd simply cloned an image. I find this behavior very annoying. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
    Tom

5. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

Tom,

i believe you can solve your problem by edition config.pvs (XML configuration file, located inside VM bundle) manually. You will need to modify parameter called "WindowsMode".

The following values could be used:

0 - Default (Start in the mode that was used earlier. Switch to Coherence on the first launch)
    1 - Windowed Mode
    2 - Fullscreen Mode

If you force it to be "Windowed", it should not switch to Coherence on first start.

Hope this helps,

Regards,
    Max

6. Thomas Helsel

Thomas Helsel Bit poster

Thanks, Max. I'll have a go at that and let you know if I have any further problems.

-T