Processor doesn't support hardware virtualization???

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MartyG, Dec 12, 2009.

1. MartyG

MartyG Bit poster

I've been trying to do a comparison of Parallels, VMWare & Virtualbox, but whenever I try to create a VM in Parallels, it tells me that my processor doesn't support hardware virtualization and refuses to create the VM. VMWare and Virtualbox both work fine, and Parallels let me install without a problem - but won't create a VM. Why is "hardware virtualization" necessary in Parallels - the others seem to work perfectly well without it. Is there a way to at least turn off or opt out of this requirement?

2. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

What Parallels Product are you trying to install, what version? What model of Mac do you have? All models of Apple Macs have CPU with supported virtualization installed, at least I'm not aware of any version that doesn't.

Please, provide some additional information, so we can assist.

Regards,
    Max

3. MartyG

MartyG Bit poster

I'm trying to install Parallels 5 on 10.6.2. I know it's not a Parallels supported install though, because it's on a "hackintoshed" HP Mini. My problem is that since this computer uses an Atom processor, it doesn't support hardware virtualization - which brings me to the question - why this is necessary since all the other virtualization options don't require it, and why can't I turn it off?

4. MartyG

MartyG Bit poster

Just an addendum...
    I also tried this with parallels 3 & 4 with the same results. I seem to remember also trying 2.5 (I think) and it didn't work either - however the other options work flawlessly.

5. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

Hello Mary,

As already said hardware virtualization support in CPU is a mandatory requirement for our products for the Mac platform. All Mac models are currently shipped with that feature.

As for Intel Atom - all top models of the Intel Atom CPU have this technology (Z520/Z520PT/Z530/Z530P/Z540/Z550). Please refer to the http://ark.intel.com/VTList.aspx for details.

Regards,
    Max

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009