lost network and internet connections

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mavsfan, Dec 9, 2009.

1. mavsfan

mavsfan Junior Member

I posted earlier about a win7 update that I thought had caused me to lose my network connections and internet access. It now know it was not the update that caused the problem but merely shutting down the VM and restarting, as it has happened again today and I was not doing updates.
    So at this point I am dead in the water with this install. Brand new imac, snow leopard, build 5.0.9220, win7 64, bridged ethernet.

2. mavsfan

mavsfan Junior Member

solved

The lost network connections were due to the fact that I needed to set up Shared Folders on the mac OS of all my network drives in the domain. Once I did this, they then stayed connected in the VM. If this is documented somewhere, then I missed it.

The internet connection problem was due to the fact that in Properties of the Parallels network adapter, the setting for IPv4 was automatic, and so it was assigning an IP address that was not consistent with our domain addressing scheme of 10.0.*.*. Once I went in and manually set addresses for the IP, DNS and gateway, I then had internet access in the VM.

Both of these issues were a result of being in a domained, ethernet network environment, for which the documentation is not very good.